Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Truth in this statement?

River1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A trail camera set on an edge scrape the last two weeks of October will reveal over 75% of the bucks in the area.</div></div>

I read this statement on another forum and it sparked my interest. Just curious if you guys that run a lot of cams agree. Seems to me it could be reasonable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how big is the area? 1/4 section, id say yes.
</div></div>

I agree if it's a primary scrape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A trail camera set on an edge scrape the last two weeks of October will reveal over 75% of the bucks in the area. </div></div>

If it is that good, shouldn't we be placing treestands or ground blinds, instead of cameras, over the scrape?

I have seen some pretty dumb bucks hit these hot scrapes but never have I guessed that 75% or more in the area were hitting them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 150 Class</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A trail camera set on an edge scrape the last two weeks of October will reveal over 75% of the bucks in the area. </div></div>

If it is that good, shouldn't we be placing treestands or ground blinds, instead of cameras, over the scrape?

I have seen some pretty dumb bucks hit these hot scrapes but never have I guessed that 75% or more in the area were hitting them.

</div></div>

I'm guessing most of it would be nocturnal visits, especially if it's a field edge.

DOR,

Yes, lots of assumptions. I'm thinking the statement relates to one of those big scrapes you see in the same spot every year on the edge of a secluded field.

The problem is you have to find that ONE scrape that is the main one!

Edge? How about a few yards in? 56 pictures from 10/28 to 11/3, here's some of the series. Where am I going to be next Nov. 1?
345.jpg
340.jpg
330.jpg
304.jpg
twoscrapers.jpg
tenish.jpg
forkie.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Late november seems to be the best for me....early like stated, maybe 50%. </div></div>

What would you say a percentage is for day vs night in late Nov?

In MN I would get more pictures of the orange army than deer in late NOV. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

If you're actually talking about a scrape LINE as orginally stated, you better have a fast cam as many bucks may cruise through fairly quickly. As has already been mentioned, a primary scrape would be ideal. Not sure of the % but it should be pretty good. IMO the best way to get most of the bucks on film is to have several cams overlooking various mineral licks. Eventually, you get the majority of them that way and you have several months as opposed to trying to get them all on the cam during open season. Just my $.02

I had cameras set on three scrapes on a 400 acre farm during that time and know of atleast 3 mature bucks that I never got on camera. I know they were there too because I had seem them on that farm more than once during day light hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're actually talking about a scrape LINE as orginally stated, you better have a fast cam as many bucks may cruise through fairly quickly. As has already been mentioned, a primary scrape would be ideal. Not sure of the % but it should be pretty good. IMO the best way to get most of the bucks on film is to have several cams overlooking various mineral licks. Eventually, you get the majority of them that way and you have several months as opposed to trying to get them all on the cam during open season. Just my $.02 </div></div>

I like this aproach better as well. On a scrape line I have had good luck with cameras on two scapes. Might se a butt in one and get the picture you want in the next camera. It just depends how they are moving and your setup. Also I have noticed that some of my mineral sights never produce good buck activity.

I think it may be possible. Also, 99 % of the 75 % that visit the scrape will be under the cover of darkness.

Top Bottom