Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Down

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
My first spring turkey hunting has been a lot of fun. I got a bow tag and a fourth season gun tag. Every time I have been out I have seen birds and several toms and passed on a few jakes.

Last weekend I should have got it done with the bow. I had a Tom called in and he strutted, spit and drum all the way in from about 50 yards to 20. I easily could have shot him but I thought he was just going to come right in to the decoys...well I guess after 2 minutes of strutting at 20 yards and my didn’t seem realistic enough, lesson learned, shoot when you have the chance.

This weekend marked 4th gun season so I left the bow at home so I could extend my range of given another chance. As I was walking in I could hear a Tom gobbling close to my blind, he was still roosted and I saw him in the tree. I continued in in the dark. As it was getting light I could hear gobbling in all directions. It took a couple hours before I saw the first board, and it was out of sight as soon as I saw it. It was quiet for a while and then about 845 I could hear gobbling close over the hill so I let out a few series of yelps. About 10 minutes later I hear a noise to my right and look over to see a Tom walking in to my decoys fast. I quick grabbed the gun and as soon as I could get it up he was in the decoys and the first instant I could get a bead on his head I took the shot. It was only maybe 10-15 yards. I wish I had brought my bow. I was going to take both but didn’t get up in time.

I think I have a new spring time addiction. I’m still going to try and fill my bow tag. Such beautiful birds up close and really fun to see the strutting up close and gobbling, wish I had started 10 years ago.

I used the NWTF scoring calculator and got 70.875. Weight was 22.10, left spur 1.25, right spur 1.375,and an 11 inch beard. ( I have no idea if this is good, low, average, etc.)
a112fee2aded5b79450e0fbe90067dd1.jpg
44a98c19df147efa4bd388f7fcec2e9d.jpg
f213a152d909f5fb1dfb6c66adfebab5.jpg
f0b9939d063c2ae38b5d6496fde2df7a.jpg
7699e207274fd141311846efe9b7bee8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom