Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

turkey gun optics

Rich77

Like most I started with a bead many moons ago, I purchased a dedicated turkey gun 5-6 yrs ago.
Its a 3-1/2" Remington sps turkey with a knox stock. 23" barell with williams fire sights. It has been a great gun and myself or anyone else that has used it has yet to miss. Ive got it shooting the best patterns ive ever gotten out of it "230+ hits in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards" wich equates to about a baseball sized hole at 25 yards and in...
I know that 95% of the birds ive killed eith a gun could have been cleanly taken with any 2-3/4" hi brass load and a modified choke and this is more of a fun project than anything but im looking at putting a red dot on this gun and seeing what most folks prefer or have had the least ammount of problems with.
The gun also pulles double duty on coyotes so I think ill get some good use out of the red dot no matter what.
Right now im between the vortex spark II and the bushnell trs-25. Just seeing what others have to say

Aimpoint all the way. I use a 2x Aimpoint scopes on my slug guns and they are awesome!

I shot a red dot for a couple years. Didn't like turning it off & on, changing brightness setting or messing with batteries. It finally fell apart from the 10 gauge recoil. Switched to a 1X4 Leupold with a "turkey-plex" reticle and LOVE it! Dead turkeys instead of dead batteries!

I've got a cheap TruGlo on my gun and I really like it but during the bright sunny days the red dot can be hard to see. Especially for anyone new to hunting. I'm considering going back to a 1x or 2x scope honestly. I know that isn't what you asked but thought I'd throw my $0.02 in for you.

I don't want to hijack the thread here...but I too am interested in this subject. The last two years I have had to drop my turkey on shot #2 and only because I missed shot #1. (Both of these shots were wide open 10-15 yarders, so a little embarrassing I must say. :D)

I suspect it has to do with my eyesight/bifocals as I never remember missing when I was younger! :D But seriously, it has seemed as though it is quite a bit harder these days to line up 2 beads on the barrel up close and Mr. Gobbler's head out there a ways...so I have begun to think about a putting a site on the ol' Benelli.

At this point, I would only use it for turkey hunting, so it would need to be removable, etc.

I don't have much to offer in terms of advice at this point Rich, as I am new to scopes or sights on shotguns. Sorry about that.

You fellas have basically said exactly what ive been thinking the whole time... a scope. I shoot a scope on my slug gun/ muzzeloader and nearly every other long gun I own.
But heres the problem.... I really like turkeys and im not a huge fan of stitches and ive had a bunch of both.
I did a redneck test with this gun already, i used a toilet paper roll and duct tape. I put it nearly 6" away from my face, loaded a 3.5" shell and pulled the trigger. I would have needed stitches.... the knox stock has the recoil reduction in it, the recoil isnt that bad but the stock essentially shortening during recoil is going to wreck my forehead if i had a scope on it.

Aimpoint red dot scopes are parallax free, 2 and or 4 moa and have a battery life of 50,000 hours. I own two 9000SC 2x (2 power magnification) models but Aimpoint no longer makes those models. Great compact fast acquisition scopes!!! No worry about being bit or having to get stitches with one of these scopes.

Top Bottom