Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TURKEY MOUNTS

B

BLUE BUCK

I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET MY FIRST TURKEY A FEW DAYS AGO, AND WAS HOPING TO GET SOME INFORMATION ON MOUNTING THE FAN AND BEARD. JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO USE TO PRESERVE THE TAIL, HOW LONG IT TAKES TO DRY, AND A GOOD SOURCE OF EQUIPMENT FOR PLAQUES AND ANY OTHER GOODIES I MIGHT NEED. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT. THANX,
JEFF

Beards and tails are pretty easy to mount. I always dry the top end of the beard in salt for a couple days then mount it in the empty shotgun shell I got him with. For the tail, just clean off as much meat as you can at the base with a knife and rub in borax and salt to dry it out (use lots - they're cheap) If the feathers look kind of rough - just wet them down and straighten them out while you dry them with a hair dryer (don't let your wife catch you doing this!) Fan out the feathers and hold them in place with a few heavy books for 4 or 5 days. You might need to change the borax every day or two if it starts looking wet. When the base is dried out, seal it over with some epoxy or bondo to keep the bugs out. Then it's ready to mount on a wood base. You can buy them in just about any sporting goods section or catalog, but you've probably got some scrap lumber and wood stain in your garage that you could use to make your own.
Hope that helps....

Top Bottom