Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Population

fastfreddy

What's everyone's take this year so far on the turkey population? Obviously the past 10-12 years it has been on the decline but didn't know if they ever started coming back in your areas. Post up what part of the state you're from and what you're currently noticing for bird counts!

FF

What's everyone's take this year so far on the turkey population? Obviously the past 10-12 years it has been on the decline but didn't know if they ever started coming back in your areas. Post up what part of the state you're from and what you're currently noticing for bird counts!

FF

I guess I'm a minority and seeing the complete opposite. From 10 years ago to now, I'm seeing way more birds. Have hunted all over the state....

HIGHLY farm dependent. I've seen over 300 at once (zero exaggeration) on one farm and barely any 12 miles away at another farm and of course everything in between.

Current turkey populations at my farm in SE Iowa...about 30% of where they were 10+ years ago(bummer) when it was FABULOUS, BUT...about double where they were 3 or 4 years ago(positive trend) when it was pathetic. We had several really wet springs that impacted nesting about 4-6 years ago now AND I am still of the opinion that the much increased bobcat population leads to a decreased turk population. We've had 2-3 fair to good nesting seasons, which has helped a lot, but we now have 3-5 times as many bobcats as we did 10 years ago. So the two components are fighting each other IMO.

in ringgold and decatur where we are its fair.. not like the good days 8-10 years ago thats for sure, i wish we could get those numbers back

Southern Iowa- “gazillions” is official count. I noticed a bit of a slide 5-6 years ago but I haven’t noticed any slumps since. Tons as usual. They really don’t get much for pressure or killing & have everything they need. I’d say biggest killer is natural predators over people by me. Still tons of em.

Wish I could someday say the same thing about pheasant population :(

We are up a bunch in my area, 50% or so something nice 2014. Illinois farm is the same way, not uncommon to see 10-12 mature Toms on that farm in a sit

We are up a bunch in my area, 50% or so something nice 2014. Illinois farm is the same way, not uncommon to see 10-12 mature Toms on that farm in a sit

From reports numbers are adequate but it varies from farm to farm. I just need to find two dumb ones!!
I’ll be hunting SE central Iowa.

I haven't noticed a slide on us at all. In fact during late muzz last year I counted 25 Toms in one group in one of our plots.

Numbers are down are here, nothing like it was around 2010-2013 when it was nothing unusual to see 12-15 strutters in a field, now we're are lucky to see 5. I havent seen many around so far this spring so it may be slim pickens around these parts.

Of all the scouting and looking around I have done in NE Iowa... Our farms are way down, but Coyote population is WAY up... I have actually decided instead of turkey, I will literally be coyote hunting on my farms this year..

In my area it got so bad where I was typically hearing at least 12-15 different Toms in a 2 mile radius to probably 2-3 Toms. I quit hunting them myself and tried getting my 2 boys on birds but was pretty hard especially with an hour drive one way to get there. I'm hunting in SouthWest Iowa pretty much on the Missouri line. I have seen and heard (spookiest noise I've ever heard in the dark) bobcats in this area dating back a good 10 years ago. I don't know if that is the culprit but I wish it would turn around. I do hear quite a few pheasants and quail as the sun starts to come up so I don't know if nesting is the issue either.

Top Bottom