Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey problem

hillrunner

PMA Member
I have a 4 acre corn plot that the deer are absolutely loving right now. I checked it thismorning and it looks like the corn should last well into the heaviest shed dropping season. The problem is that there is a group of around 100 turkeys feeding in the picked corn field all day long. They are about 200 yds and 2 fences away from finding my plot. Im afraid that if one of them wanders a little farther north and picks up his ugly head for a second and realizes whats just over the hill, my plot will be destroyed in a matter of days, also Ill have a trail cam full of Turkey pictures. I cant imagine that there is anything I can do to scare the turkeys away that wouldnt send a whitetail to the next county.I have also noticed the Turkeys have almost completely pushed the deer out of a section of our timber. I was just curious if anyone else has ever had a problem like this?

What a problem to have!
confused.gif

Sounds like you are in for a really good Spring turkey season!
waytogo.gif

If deer have left a whole section of timber- I doubt it is from turkey pressure unless they are wearing orange vests.

bradbucks you need any spring turk hunters to hunt ur farm....
grin.gif
me and my dad need some new spots for turks......

itd be a great problem if I turkey hunted
grin.gif
but since I dont, Im worried about the effect they may have on my plot meant for deer.I know its hard to believe that the turkeys push deer out, but Ive seen it many times. The Turkeys move into a section of timber b/c of access to a food source they are currently using. They are in such large groups and make so much noise that it makes the deer nervous (probably b/c they cant hear if a predator is coming). Things will be back to normal by next fall when all the turkeys will go back to their normal areas.My worry is that if they find the plot this year, they will come back every year and destroy it .
Iowabuckhunter, its my dads ground but anyone who wants to come up to the extreme Northwest corner of the state is more than welcome to hunt for spring turkey, I dont have the time in the spring for turkey hunting and my dad will let anyone go after turkeys as long as they hunt legaly.

Top Bottom