Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Vacation

buck3

This is the first year in about 13 that I took the opening week off to hunt turkeys (past few years only couple days middle of the week). I started off the week by leaving home at 3:30AM Monday to travel about an hour fifteen minutes to Howard country to a new spot I had gained permission to hunt. The morning set looked great but the toms stayed in the timber so I set up in a new spot in the afternoon and had turkeys all over me from 3-6. At 5:45PM I finally had a Jake and some hens come in and I decided I was going to wait for a Tom this year. I heard some commotion to my left so I took a peak out my small side window and had a Tom right next to me at 3 yards coming fast. He came around right into my set and as I drew my bow the arrow fell off the rest and by the time I got it back on and settle in he was at 20 yards. I sent the arrow on its way and drilled him right in the back and down he went 21.5 lbs/10 inch beard/3/4" spurs.

Now its Tuesday and my good friend was also on vacation and asked me to go along with him. Right after we got set up my buddy realized that his sight had broke. After a quick MacGyver fix with some hair ties we were all set. The birds gobbled hard on the roost then flew down and went to the East out of sight with their harem of hens. We quickly reset in a known strutting spot in the same field and waited for them to come in. A storm had rolled through mid morning then the sun came out and here came the Toms. They first skirted us then my buddy peaked out the top of the blind and the three Toms were coming at us from behind. My buddy called and I worked the Jake I had on a spinner and here they came. They didn't fully commit and got away for the day.

Now its Wednesday morning and back hunting around home on a new piece of public ground. The night before I gained permission for a farm that got me to the public land without swimming across a river LOL. Big thanks to my wife for coming along to ask permission as she knew the farmers wife. I got set up and didn't think I would see anything until after lunch because from where I had seen the birds roosting was about 1/2 mile away. Well I was wrong they must have flew off the roost over the river & by 7:45AM I had two Toms skirt my set at 40 yards. I let them walk then two more Toms came into view and hung up so I gave them a little sweet call from the glass and they gobbled then one more call and they gobbled again so I shut up and started turning my Jake and that was it they were pissed off!!! They came on a dead run and the first one jumped on the back of my Jake and knocked him over and the other one paraded around him. I drew and smoked the one as he was still standing on the back of my Jake dek and fell over right by the Jake 21.3lbs/9" beard/3/4" spurs. Wish my buddy was with because the other Tom wouldn't leave and would have had an easy 10 yard shot. I also want to thank my buddy for suggesting to hunt early and pack a lunch because I was going to wait and set up at 9AM.

Love the spring time and can't wait until next year as my son will be ready for a youth tag!! Thank for reading and good luck to everyone still out chasing!!

Top Bottom