Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnip usage?

Old Buck

Life Member
I tried turnips for the first time this year. They were getting lots of attention in early October but are basically being ignored right now. Is anyone else seeing this? Will they become popular again after a hard freeze? Also, how do I add a photo to this post?

Old Buck

It seems they hit these hard early then late. I had a buddy tell me a guy found about 20 or so sheds in a few minutes on a turnip plot....evidently they were trying to get the bulbs out of the ground and would bump the antlers off. Not sure what they will do for you in the next few weeks?????

I haven't seen many deer in the alfalfa lately either. I think they prefer gleaning corn fields right now, especially newly harvested fields. As the field cultivators roll this source if food will get buried. I suspect that deer prefer the turnip tops like sheep, and need to learn to eat the roots. Cattle will pull the turnips up by their tops and eat the whole root. Of course when they are grazing turnips they don't have anything else to eat either. I suspect the deer will come back as other food sources become more scarce.

blake,

No, still don't know how. I'm a little slow on this computer stuff.
confused.gif

Old Buck

This is the first year we have planted turnips and by the way the deer are using the field it may be the last. They walk right past the turnips to the corn, clover and soybean plots we have. The turnips have yet to be touched.

I have notice the same thing. This is the first year I have planted them, from my understanding they will hit them after the big freez. Not sure if I'll plant them next year?

I seeded turnips in corn rows late in August. Because of the canopy the planting is thin in areas and full in others. I moved a camera to a scrape on the field edge. First night just last Friday had 32 photos. That was a first for me. Also they seem to be hitting them harder now ,pulling some completely out of the ground. They're still showing plenty of green and the camera is still out. I'll post photo progress.

A friend in Michigan told me that they have great luck with turnips. He said that they are left pretty much alone until late in the year and then the deer eat them right out of the frozen ground. He said it is funny because it leaves little bowl shaped holes in the frozen ground. Keep us posted Ironwood.

Looks like you guys were right. Now that it has gotten quite cold the deer are really hitting them.

I hope they have the same appeal to big old bucks!
grin.gif

Old Buck

Deer are still not eating the turnips.. We have are turnips planted in fields next to standing corn, standing soybeans, and clover. The deer seem to prefer all the other plants, but not the turnips. Does anyone else have there's planted next to other food sources? If so what are you seeing for usage compared to other food sources?

I have 2 acres of turnips/buckoats planted next to 2 acres of standing beans. The oats and turnips leaves are eaten to the dirt. The beans are getting hit too. I am sure before to long they will be pawing up the turnips themselves.

The deer do not seem to be pawing for the turnips but have work hard getting at a thickly planted 1/3 acre of forage oats.

I've got ice and snow now so the deer really have the feed bag on. They are now working both corn and turnips. I guess that means they are smelling the turnips through a 1/2 inch of ice! How is that for a good sense of smell?
grin.gif

Old Buck

My turnips are getting hit pretty good. The tops are all gone and the turnips themselves are being eaten now. The bean head on the combine looks as though it left more beans on the ground than it got in the wagon, so the food is still pretty abundant.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got ice and snow now so the deer really have the feed bag on. They are now working both corn and turnips. I guess that means they are smelling the turnips through a 1/2 inch of ice! How is that for a good sense of smell?
grin.gif

Old Buck

[/ QUOTE ]

Our turnips/brahaskas are getting hit hard now too the last time we looked...they were getting worked in shotgun season too but now there is a noticeable difference....Larry btw, you might have already known this due to the other half owner of our farm was in the shop getting his foggy morning trio print framed about 2-3 weeks ago and he'd mentioned that he chatted with ya on the matter of the turnip plot...

Huntn4life88

Top Bottom