Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Under Armor

There is no such thing as a non-brutal kill of an animal in the eyes of an anti. A spear is a large arrow, give them this and you are asking to take all hunting videos and shows off TV.

As far as UA...I've always thought their mixing of the little workout clothes with camo was a strange mix. It's time to go back to Cabelas and Bass Pro clothing or, if you can afford it, one of the higher end hunting clothing brands. Buy from someone who truly supports the sport of hunting.

The anti hunters are not who we need to be concerned with it's the non-hunters who will decide our future. I'm sure anti hunters have railed on UA before but nothing happened until this fiasco hit social media.

I'm pretty sure the go pro mounted footage and the antics after the kill are what put this thing over the edge. Crap like this is not good for hunting in any way shape or form.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
JMO...the only non-hunters who care about our futures and have the loudest voice are the anti-hunters.

With all due respect. Anti hunters are not the ones that will decide our future. Look all all the hunting related referendums that have and still are placed on state ballots all the time and pass all to often. Things like hunting bears with bait, running bears and lions with hounds are decided by the general non hunting public. Hell there's a trapping on public land ban on the ballot in Montana this year! Look how hard it was to get dove hunting in Iowa. These issues get put on the ballot by antis but they don't pass with their vote alone.

Spear hunting is not my cup of tea but I've heard others do it even on TV. This guy did nothing to advance spear hunting. No one will be doing it in Alberta again.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/new...ar-posts-video

To me Social Media is the root of all evil. To much look at me, look at me! I have known of people losing jobs and scholarship due to what they have posted. I have always told my boys, beware of what you post. I guess I am old school and don't need that attention and drama in my life.

I just got done listening to Cam Hanes' Keep Hammering podcast where he touched on this topic and there is a lot of great info about this topic in this podcast. If you have a chance to, listen to it. They do a great job of explaining some of the things Josh did that maybe weren't the best of choices for promoting hunting and his method of take. Smearing beaver blood all over himself and the spear to make a dramatic picture with the bear he harvested and then posted on social media. Also posting pictures of intestines along the blood trail. These are things that might not offend you or I but to someone from the outside might not appreciate it and it might not be the best way for us to promote and portray this lifestyle we enjoy. Cam talks about the way he documents and posts his hunts and harvests on social media and he seems to have a great method for how he does this to be as tasteful and respectful as possible. Everyone is quick to judge before always knowing all of the facts surrounding a situation. To me, it seems like he didn’t break any laws and I’m completely fine with him using a spear to harvest a bear. But we owe it to ourselves and the animals we pursue to be as respectful and tasteful as possible with our harvests and our photos and posts on social media.

Last edited:
At the end of the day Under Armor is one of, if not largest active supporters of our United States Military, law enforcement and first responders. They are not a clothing company built around the outdoors; they weren't created to pimp yet another gimic programs to induce wealthy mild age men who want to give hunting a shot because it's the "cool" thing to do.

Look at the big picture here. Now don't get me wrong killing a bear with a spear is quite the feat; however many of us that have a level head and see both sides of the fence realize there's something that aren't meant for all audiences (showing the intestines hanging out, as well as being a tool bag and smearing the blood on your face) <--------- I guarantee this was the reason for Under Armor to drop these fools.

Last edited:
At the end of the day Under Armor is one of, if not largest active supporters of our United States Military, law enforcement and first responders. They are not a clothing company built around the outdoors; they weren't created to pimp yet another gimic programs to induce wealthy mild age men who want to give hunting a shot because it's the "cool" thing to do.

Look at the big picture here. Now don't get me wrong killing a bear with a spear is quite the feat; however many of us that have a level head and see both sides of the fence realize there's something that aren't meant for all audiences (showing the intestines hanging out, as well as being a tool bag and smearing the blood on your face) <--------- I guarantee this was the reason for Under Armor to drop these fools.
Under armour probably wouldnt even have hunting clothes if the owner of the company wasnt a big hunter himself.

Heres Joe Rogan and Cam discussing this whole thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0L5SU1wpok&feature=youtu.be#t=36m44s

Under armour probably wouldnt even have hunting clothes if the owner of the company wasnt a big hunter himself.

Heres Joe Rogan and Cam discussing this whole thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0L5SU1wpok&feature=youtu.be#t=36m44s

Yep, just spent an hour listening to Cam and Joe's podcast. I think everyone should listen to it and let what Joe is preaching really sink it. Great podcast explaining why some of us do what we do and why this 'social media" craze has gotten out of control; and even with that said there is still some fun to be had through posting pictures and sharing our story to the world in an appropriate way.......

I am for any legal method of take. Pretty amazing to be able to pull it off even if it was over bait. I don't care for these guys that spear and have a camera mounted on it and whoop and scream. It's no small thing to take a life. Reverence, remorse, respect, these are things we owe as stewards. It's not a good representation of most of us. You could say UA did all of us a service by saying most of us are not like this. I personally feel, looking from the outside its just another bs TV stunt. Something to get some attention and be sensational. Don't know that I am right but I don't like it much. I think I have seen another show once is passing with guys spearing African game a making a scene. May be his right to post it, but was it the right choice? I know in livestock farming there are alot of things that wouldn't go over well if filmed and posted. They are necessary and are for the overall betterment of the animal but people wouldn't understand. I am sure it's easy to let most people go in these instances because there is a line of people waiting and dying to get there face on TV.

Last edited:
I am for any legal method of take. Pretty amazing to be able to pull it off even if it was over bait. I don't care for these guys that spear and have a camera mounted on it and whoop and scream. It's no small thing to take a life. Reverence, remorse, respect, these are things we owe as stewards. It's not a good representation of most of us. You could say UA did all of us a service by saying most of us are not like this. I personally feel, looking from the outside its just another bs TV stunt. Something to get some attention and be sensational. Don't know that I am right but I don't like it much. I think I have seen another show once is passing with guys spearing African game a making a scene. May be his right to post it, but was it the right choice? I know in livestock farming there are alot of things that wouldn't go over well if filmed and posted. They are necessary and are for the overall betterment of the animal but people wouldn't understand. I am sure it's easy to let most people go in these instances because there is a line of people waiting and dying to get there face on TV.

I agree with this 100%

I have been following this story for the past couple days. I have held myself back from a knee jerk reaction and have personally experienced several different feelings about this over the last couple days. I have read statements from the Drurys, listened to the Cam and Joe podcast, and read peoples opinions on facebook, bowhunting.com, archerytalk, and this site. I have also watched the video (long and short versions).

My thought is this, just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. While I respect all hunters right to hunt, I don't always agree with the the choices that we sometimes make. We've all had negative experiences with other hunters, so lets not say as I've seen in a lot of posts..."this guys a hunter so we should back him no matter what he did." Personally, I don't have any problem with the hunting method, the celebration, or showing the track job, etc. If you are going to post something to youtube and mark it as public, however, it is going to get blasted by someone no matter the content. I've put on videos of my hunts and my daughter's hunts (I mark them private and show them on hunting forums)and if there was a bunch of people that raised a fuss...so what. But I'm not a TV hunting celeb or have a UA contract. I'm a teacher and coach...and with that said I've probably spoken to some 16 year olds at times in a manner that is not typical of my normal demeanor (*never broke a law) but I certainly wouldn't video tape it and put on social media...I like my job most days :)

I think we just need to learn from this. If we are going to maintain, or even possibly grow the traditions that we all love, we need to use our best judgement. Killing a bear with a spear with a gopro attached to it is just not socially acceptable at this point, even amongst hunters. Putting it on youtube for public viewing may not be the best way to get this method of hunting off the ground or to protect other, more acceptable ways of hunting. We need to take our kids, neighbors kids, nieces and nephews out into the woods and get them excited about hunting. It's the only way.

Last edited:
I will stand up for him because he is a fellow hunter. He killed a bear. Some people don't like it because he posted it on YouTube? Give me a break, you don't have to watch it. Social media Is just part of the world we live in now. Like it or not. We as hunters are supposed to hide the fact that we are hunters now because it will upset the liberals? The guy threw a spear and killed a bear. Who cares? According to the details I read the bear went 55 yards and died. Sounds like an ethical kill. Perfectly legal. I hate to be the bearer (pun intended) of bad news but in hunting there will be blood, guts and gore. No getting around it. It's just part of it. Actually as a hunter, I hope there is a lot of blood after every attempt I make at taking an animal because you know what that means. Then to hear ppl say you need to clean the animal up before you take a picture - (it deserves that). Really? Does it deserve to die? Is that something ppl just say to make themselves feel better about taking its life? It deserves to look good in the photo of you holding its head up after you took its life? I have also read threads about this on other forums and the common theme is -is spearing bears necessary? I've read a lot of comments and it seems that the majority of the hunting community say no it's not. The main reason behind this thinking is that it gives all hunters a "black eye" so to speak. A "black eye" to the general non hunting public and the antis. Well I will display my "black eye" because i am a hunter and that's nothing to be ashamed of. If the less informed look down on me for that I can live with it. I've read dozens of comments stating "that just gives the antis ammunition for there campaign". Piss on their campaign. Their not going to stop till hunting is abolished. There's no compromising with them and anybody with a brain can see that, but yet we as hunters are supposed to cater to them? Then there's the fear that if us hunters don't stay in line that someone is going to take hunting away from us. I used to think like that but really? Can you imagine what that would do to the economy? How many jobs would be lost? All the state and federal revenue from licenses and taxes? All the pissed off folks with firearms? Huntings not going anywhere. Under armor felt like they had to do what they did. Do I blame them for their decision? Doesn't matter. I believe that if they stayed neutral about it that this would of blown over a lot quicker than by choosing sides. Again, doesn't matter. I believe this will have little effect on their bottom line. Don't be ashamed because you are a hunter.

I will stand up for him because he is a fellow hunter. He killed a bear. Some people don't like it because he posted it on YouTube? Give me a break, you don't have to watch it. Social media Is just part of the world we live in now. Like it or not. We as hunters are supposed to hide the fact that we are hunters now because it will upset the liberals? The guy threw a spear and killed a bear. Who cares? According to the details I read the bear went 55 yards and died. Sounds like an ethical kill. Perfectly legal. I hate to be the bearer (pun intended) of bad news but in hunting there will be blood, guts and gore. No getting around it. It's just part of it. Actually as a hunter, I hope there is a lot of blood after every attempt I make at taking an animal because you know what that means. Then to hear ppl say you need to clean the animal up before you take a picture - (it deserves that). Really? Does it deserve to die? Is that something ppl just say to make themselves feel better about taking its life? It deserves to look good in the photo of you holding its head up after you took its life? I have also read threads about this on other forums and the common theme is -is spearing bears necessary? I've read a lot of comments and it seems that the majority of the hunting community say no it's not. The main reason behind this thinking is that it gives all hunters a "black eye" so to speak. A "black eye" to the general non hunting public and the antis. Well I will display my "black eye" because i am a hunter and that's nothing to be ashamed of. If the less informed look down on me for that I can live with it. I've read dozens of comments stating "that just gives the antis ammunition for there campaign". Piss on their campaign. Their not going to stop till hunting is abolished. There's no compromising with them and anybody with a brain can see that, but yet we as hunters are supposed to cater to them? Then there's the fear that if us hunters don't stay in line that someone is going to take hunting away from us. I used to think like that but really? Can you imagine what that would do to the economy? How many jobs would be lost? All the state and federal revenue from licenses and taxes? All the pissed off folks with firearms? Huntings not going anywhere. Under armor felt like they had to do what they did. Do I blame them for their decision? Doesn't matter. I believe that if they stayed neutral about it that this would of blown over a lot quicker than by choosing sides. Again, doesn't matter. I believe this will have little effect on their bottom line. Don't be ashamed because you are a hunter.

I agree with many of your points. I agree that hunting will not go away, however, think of how many "NO HUNTING" signs you see now compared to 10-20 years ago. Part of that I know is leasing and whatnot but in part it is because of this kind of thing. I know other property owners that are not letting hunters on because they let someone on who tore the place up, left gates open etc. It hurts us all when poor decisions are made, especially when you carry the celebrity tag and walk around with a camera everywhere.

Regardless of what side you are taking, there has been great dialogue amongst hunters. Finally something other that "Fixed or Mechanical" discussions.

Top Bottom