Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Updated Aerials

mole

Does anyone know where I can locate current aerial photos. Everything I've found on the net has been 1994 or later. A lot has changed on my hunting grounds since then. I heard that the state offices were supposed to have upated photos last year on a disc that you could buy. Anyone else hear about this?

thanks
mole

Palmated's right. These are really good resolution images. I've blown up large size (16" X 16") images of my main hunting areas. The nice thing too is you can switch from the aerial photo to topographical by marking the appropriate button in the menu on the left and then hitting the site's "refresh map" button. If you know Photoshop, you can even switch the colors back to green and brown!

Good luck.

Threebeards

Ya what an awesome site.Found it about a month ago and now its in my favorites file. I love the aerial that has the red in it.Great for finding the funnels.

Just spent a couple hours there this AM. Looking at my spots & checking for better stand sites. One place I'm very satisfied with & one I'm still feeling out. These photos are such an awesome tool. Maggs

I tried the given web site and said could not display address? Please advise because I too would like to get updated photos of the land I have to hunt. Thanks
confused.gif

Thanks for the info. All of those sites are great but nothing is newer than 94. I really need something newer than 2000. Two of my hunting spots have had major ponds and wetlands built since 97. Thanks again.

mole

Mole:

Go here http://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/cir/index.html

These color infrared photos are 2002. Don't think you'll find much newer than that. If you can, scale the topo map to match the ortho view and print the topo out on transparency (overhead) film). Then you can lay the topo on top of the photo to really get the lay of the land.

Threebeards

Mole,

It's a little involved. You zoom in on the area you want and go to "Download Map" on the menu list above the map. Then click on the "Geotiff Image" in the chart, selecting the resolution you want. There's a set of directions below the chart to help you. Once the file's downloaded, you can place it in a Word document or graphics program and print from there, or if you download the JPEG version, you can open the file with your browser and print it that way. The files get pretty big so it's harder to do if you've got a slow connection. Worst comes worst, let me know where you hunt and I'll download the file and email it to you -- of course I'll save a copy for myself!
evil.gif

Threebeards

I am currently a GIS analyst for Maryland. I work exclusively with high resolution aerial photographs. Contact your DNR or state highway administration they should be able to help you if they are nice.
grin.gif

Top Bottom