Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Upgrading the bow - suggestions?

deerhunter93

I've had my Elite Hunter for about 6 years now and figured it was time to either get a new bow or upgrade what I have on it. I decided to go the "upgrade" route so I just had new limbs put on to go for the "ninja" look (all black). I also spray painted my stabilizer and quiver to save some money :lol: :way:

Anyway, I think I'm going to look into a new sight, rest, and bow string. Do you have any suggestions?

Sight - I currently have a toxonics 5 pin and I have had it for probably close to 10 years now. It works well but I think it's time for a change. I have thought about going to a single pin slider but have never shot one so I don't know how I'd like it in the stand when a buck is coming in.

Rest - I currently have a trophy ridge drop away rest. Again, it has done what it has needed to do but I'm ready to make a switch. I think I want to stick with a drop away but I haven't looked into them much. QAD seems to be a top choice for many people.

Bow string - It seems like there is quite a price range on these. I can get a set from ArcheryTalk for $50 but then I'd have to get them put on somewhere.

Sight - Axcel Armortech Vision for me.....it's built like a TANK (IMHO single pins are just one extra thing to think about and that can go wrong in a hunting situation)

Rest- QAD or Rip Cord......you can't go wrong with either one.

Bow String- Vaportrail is my brand of choice

If your thinking about a slider I'd suggest a multi pin. I like Montana Black Gold.

Rests are a personal choice. I like the qad but am interested in some of the limb driven ones.

Lots of strings out there. Unless it's a really reputable one having some kind of supper sale I'd expect to pay more then 50 for a quality set.

I'll be following this as I need a new rest and have the exact same bow. Just can't give it up because it shoots so good. For me the single pin HHA has really improved my shooting and I like it alot. Treestand applications haven't been a problem. Set it at 20. If one comes in quick anything 30 and under it will be fine. If it's further the quick adjustment can be made easily.

HHA makes a good single pin for the money; spot Hoggs look good too. You won't have an issue with a single pin in most standard Iowa treestand setups. Some of the newer ones have a second pin just in case one moves out on you. Mine shoots pretty flat 0-25 and anything over that I know how much it drops and how high to aim. So really, even if one switches trails and comes by at 45 yds I can still shoot without moving a pin if I have to. I've never understood the argument that you won't have time to adjust your pin. It's the same mentality as a gun, you just have to know your drop at different ranges in case you can't move your pin.

Don't know enough about strings or rests to chime in. Expensive or cheap, all the strings I've owned have stretched and needed slight yoke adjustments eventually.

If you ever plan on any mule deer/antelope, spot and stalk or decoy hunting out west, don't go with the single pin. Your guide will hate you

Check out a CBE Tek Hybrid. I love the 3 pin. 20,30,40 and bottom pin is a floater to 100yds. Very well built and the Pro has metal sight tapes. The sight tapes are very handy.

Qad is a great rest.

I currently have a G5 Optix XR sight which has 3 fixed pins and one adjustable which I have thoroughly enjoyed. If I were to change, I would go with a Spott Hogg Hunter 5-pin. I have had no issues with my NAP Apache drop away rest and see no reason to look to anything else. I have always had the pro shop here custom make my strings so I would have no suggestions for you in that department.

Top Bottom