Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Value of Antlers

B

BSJelken

Were can one get a set of antlers appraised. I know the true value is really based on what the person buying the horn is willing to pay, but just curious of getting a round about value

BJelken,
Lope is gonna put the boot to ya...
grin.gif

I think there are some on ebay to get an idea. Hope this helps.

I know I'm a little backward but why do people buy antlers? I can't see why anyone would want to own a rack that someone else had killed either legally or illegally. I think it was a big mistake when Iowa made it legal to sell antlers other than sheds, and not require any kind of documentation. If you sell bear hides or parts, or bobcat, or lots of other things you must have documentation showing the animals were obtained legally, but not antlers.

I found a set of sheds that are over 200 inches and was wondering the value of them.
i'm new to this game and was just curious.

Bjelken,

Alot depends on the condition of the antlers, ...fresh and in perfect condition a true set of 200" sheds are worth good money. Also if they were typical you would really have something. With a picture I could probably come close to what they would bring. One guy might give twice of another if you are selling what he likes in an antler.

As to why anyone would buy someone else's antlers let me explain my reasons.....1st I respect the animal more than the guy that is selling them. Usually the guy doesn't give a darn about the antlers.....I do.
Antlers have always fasinated me and they always will....I decorate my home with them and just like being around them. I give them a better home than some that are thrown in the barn to rot.
wavey.gif

Thanks Iowabruce, I was thinking the same way. To me it's like buying a sculpture. One that nature made. If someone doesn't want it, I'll sure give it a place of honor.

The last pair of 200-inch typical sheds that I know of was sold for $3000 and the guy promptly turned around and resold them for $12000.

What do you really have?

BJELKEN, I see you are from Slater, I live over in Huxley not too farm from ya. Always looking for people around here to go hunting with, might be doing some rabbit hunting if we get some snow. Drop me line sometime if ya want to hunt or just talk hunting.

Shovelbuck,

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that feels that way. Thank God I have a loving wife that lets me pursue my passion.
Bruce
wavey.gif

I've seen where alot of people on here have spent money on those hunting video's like prime time, I have never bought one in my life.
I personally think this is the true evil of why IOWA has such an invasion of non residents.Why pay these people money for their videos to harvest our big bucks?They sell/advertise the great hunting in IOWA, see they have a market for it, and we pay them to come back again, in the form of buying each new video they make.Each time, new interest from people is gained to come here or elsewhere where the BIG ONES are.
The people that walk around and find the shed's are more deserving than the movie makers.Shed hunters aren't "conviently placed" in areas where they know where there is a big shed.
I've purchased a couple of sheds just for the purpose of decoration,art forms as previously mentioned.
How can you have any satisfaction watching someone else do, that you know if you were given the same conditions,do yourself??

BJelkin. If you want an accurate appraisal you can give me a call, 320-762-7253. I won't be home this Saterday as I'm teaching a measuring class. I have given professional antler appraisals many times for insurance purposes, sales, and law suits, on whitetail, elk, and mulie, both racks and sheds. This includes the world record nontypical elk sheds found last year in Alberta, which have been sold to either Bass Pro or Cabela's.., and yes, the seller did get the appraised value. Its a process that to be done right, can't be done over night. There are many questions to be asked, therefore the phone call is needed. Up to you, but I'm willing. Dan

Blaster,
I found those sheds about 75 yards from your bow stand!!! JUST KIDDING!!!
See ya friday

I found a set of antlers that would score in the 170-180 typical. The rack is massive. 6" at the bases, 20" wide, its a real brute. I probably would never sell it unless I could get alot of money out of it. I have mounted the antlers and have him in my basement. I was just wondering what a rack like this would bring. If I could get $10,000, It would probably be sold. If anyone has any information or would like to buy it, email me! VERY MASSIVE THROUGHOUT! NOT A TYPICAL, THIN ANTLERED WHITETAIL!

Tracker you got that right about buying videos. MAD has bought land in Iowa and Ill. On the money hunters like us spend on there products. They won,t have to worry about a place to hunt.

iowabruce,

Guys like myself, Shovelbuck and many others on the site go back to a time when antler fanatics where just that, antler fanatics. Some of us have a passion/fascination for whitetail deer and there antlers that dates back to the days when there was little monetary value placed on antlers. What they are worth to some of us is far more than money.

In our times of big money hunters and big Iowa whitetails being plastered all over the hunting magazines do I blame those fortunate enough to own trophy antlers for selling them for top dollars, NO, I don't. We can't change reality, money talks. I would never sell my antlers but I could sell many things that belong to me that have no special value.

Back to the question, value of antlers, what are they worth? Everything to some, nothing to others.

IAdroptine

just type in "antlers" on ebay and arrange with the "Highest price first" and you can see what some people are willing to pay for racks, sheds, replicas and mounts.

What are antlers worth. That is a good question. They are priceless for many reasons such as ... the great memories of finding them, great to be out in nature as there is always a lot to see and experience, knowing what bucks made it though hunting season, my son's first find, my first find, the friendly competition between a son and his dad, getting to throw the son in a snow bank while racing to a shed to make sure he knows who is top dog when it comes to shed hunting, to be out shedded by the boy, but the biggest reason which makes an shed priceless is just to enjoy the time together doing something we both love before life leads him away. Money can't buy that.

Tim

Can't say it any better than Tim did! The time I spend with my children outdoors is priceless. It's getting hard to remember every place I have picked up a shed, but I can remember every one that my 3 children have picked up. I wish I could share the feeling of finding a shed with a child and then having him or her recognize that we have picked up antlers from this buck before. Yes I buy a few antlers. No two of them are the same, like Jay said they are a work of art. The ones I buy don't mean as much to me as the ones I find, but I enjoy them just the same. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, I'm sure some of you can relate. When I pick up sheds I have found, in my mind I travel back to the time I picked them up. I find a smile creeping across my face when I drive past a piece of ground that I have found a particular favorite shed. I'm sure most of you think I'm crazy. There are a few on here that are smiling right now as they read this. They are truley as crazy about antlers as I!

Chris

Top Bottom