Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Value of Antlers

Chris

I hear you on the last part of your post.
grin.gif
Tyler is worse off then me though.
shocked.gif
Wife will verify it but says we are equally as crazy when it comes to shed hunting!!
tongue.gif

Tim

Why would anyone want a set of antler he didn't shoot??? The same reason he looks into and is amazed with the Grand Canyon, even though he didn't dig it.

Sometimes when I drive by particular spots in January and February, I think I can actually hear them drop.

Value of antlers?????? There have been several different opinions expressed on this thread. However, no one has shared anything in regards to what they have done with a shed or sheds that deals with the "value of antlers." My hunting partner (a member on this site) found a side to a B&C buck last Spring. After a while, he found out that his neighbor (another member of this site) had found the other side. They had the antlers scored and they were in the 170's. My hunting partner ended up giving his side to his neighbor. This year, his neighbor ended up harvesting the monster which was in the 200's (picture was on the conference in December). Now you tell me "the value of antlers......" because I have learned that it really doesn't matter what a person does with a shed or sheds or skull......... It's the other things that carry greater value...............

From the looks of these posts it seems that I am in the minority about buying and selling antlers. I just think that being able to sell racks for big dollars has to lead to poachers killing bucks just for money. I have read several posts talking about finding dead deer with no heads or road kill that some one stole the horns from. If there were no legal market would there be the controversy over that Debuque Buck and what will happen to the horns. How many people told about DNR of Scheriff deputies who confiscated racks to possibly sell them. Dollars and greed will lead to lots of high quality deer being taken illegally just to sell the horns. Antlers are beautiful just like the Grand Canyon but you can't sell the Canyon or steal it from every legal hunter in the state.

Bowmaker,

You are probably right, but I doubt making it illegal now would stop it. I also don't like the idea of making something illegal because some people are abusing it. Punishing law abiding citizens for the illegal acts of others is not something I am for in most cases.

Bowmaker,
I also believe what you say about the poaching aspect and it's to bad that there's know way to really regulate the sale of rack's still on the skull because these are the one's that would be in question, not shed's.
I look at all the ebay stuff and it just make's you wonder how 2 or 3 sellers on there could have so many record book rack's?I alway's wonder where these antler'swhere obtained.It's a sad day when the dollar value of a deer mean's more then a memory value these great animal's can give to someone.
Not trying to start an argument these are just my opinion's

What in interesting subject I just love this site. I'm proud and glad to be a new member.
For the sheds I wouldn't sell a 40 inch shed for any amount of money. Why should I profit from mother nature and a deer that outsmarted thousands of hunters. Did you know that it takes the mass of 6 deer brains to equal a human and they still outsmart me every year. I look at the sheds as a challenge from the deer saying "Come on I showed you where I live now come get me."

Ihave a deer that I have the sheds for 3 years and have caught on video while recording for a friend since my tag was already filled for the year. I can not find that deer within bow or shotgun range now for 5 years.
If I would have sold those sheds and then I win this war and take this deer and I hope I do he is a true Booner!! I would feel so terrible! No amount of money could fix that feeling. Money comes and goes memories are forever.

As for those guys buying land in Iowa. Please do not buy another tape from them. If you want to see videos of deer that are still alive and running free send me the tape and I will show you 4 hours of fair chase public and private ground deer on tape for free.

Then you won't have to listen to them talking about their calls and scents and ads. for their products. The hands down best call on the market are the rattling antlers anyway. Those are free at your local hunting spots as shed antlers.

Hello Snowgosse6, Please explain what "MAD" is? I am not familiar with them.
confused.gif

Top Bottom