Velvet buck in January

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by meyeri, Jan 7, 2019.

1. meyeri

meyeri PMA Member

Had this buck and a shed buck at 15 yards last night. I had a statewide tag in my pocket, but I had no intentions of using it on this guy. Thought I was seeing things when I first saw him pop up on my trail cam about a month ago.

These two came in with a group of 3 does and it's the same group that have traveled together recently past my trail cam. The bucks broke off and bedded down 50 yds from me for over an hour. It's interesting that a forkhorn came down the trail near them and then started acting aggressive towards this buck and actually ran him off. The shed buck just stood there the whole time and eventually the velvet buck came back. I don't think he's an antlered doe, mainly because of his body size. But he was also running with a buck and he postured up towards the forky at first, but with no fighting head gear he turned tail. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Hardwood11 likes this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. meyeri

meyeri PMA Member

Hopefully the video works. He are some photos too. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tim Hull and 203ntyp like this.
  4. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

Low testosterone levels?

5. gauge

gauge New Member

A number of years ago I was hunting in Wyoming. One of the guys in our group shot a mule deer in full velvet. It was the first week of October. When he rolled it over to gut the deer there were no testicles. Not sure if it was a birth defect or some type of injury but the lack of testosterone was what we came up with also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

meyeri likes this.
  6. bluedog69

bluedog69 Member

Give him a year or two... to grow the same rack and he will be huge! LOL

7. The Silence

The Silence PMA Member

I knew someone who several years ago shot at least a 3.5 year old buck during the Iowa shotgun season (in December) that was in full velvet. He spoke with someone about it and they mentioned that he had some type of abnormality that caused him to have low testosterone levels. I can't remember what they said about him dropping his rack.