Volunteer buckwheat

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by cchadww, Sep 27, 2020.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. cchadww

cchadww Member

[​IMG]
    We rollercrimped and sprayed the buckwheat and drilled peas/beans and brassicas Aug. 8. Sept 9 we over seeded WR with hand spreader after getting no rain. Checked yesterday and it looks like the rye, peas, beans and brassicas are all coming up.

BUT even thicker it looks like buckwheat is growing. Apparently, we waited too long to knock it down. I’m concerned it will choke out the rest. Thinking of mowing it when it gets tall enough. Other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I have no experience with the scenario that you are describing...but I too would think that the buckwheat could smother anything else below it. Although, at this later time of the growing year...perhaps it will not grow as fast/dense?? If you could mow the buckwheat and miss the rest over the top then I don't think there is much downside risk to doing that. Good luck.

4. cchadww

cchadww Member

Turned out temps dipped into low-mid 30s and wiped out the buckwheat. No need to sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk