Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wait for Spring

aimfirst

Hi All - spent a few days hunting and am concerned with the amount of prickly ash in my understory(always thinking of the work ahead I guess). it is downright thick in my main section of timber. I mowed some paths the last two summers and I don't think that helped since they seemed to sucker. I have been reading a lot about timing of treatment via cut stump method(my ash I'd say is mostly under 1/2 " diameter with a few section of a bunch of 1-2 inchers) and I mostly read that doing the cut and treat of the stump method is best in late spring when there is the least amount of stored energy in the root system. I think I'll be ancy to start this work in the winter, but I don't want waste my time or cause more spring suckering. Do any of you have experience with winter cutting/treating prickly ash? What herbicide mixture worked (if any)? Thanks!

The best time is actually late summer (mid August) and into the fall (mid Nov). This is when the plant is moving most of its energy to the root system for winter storage.

The earlier you start on it you can use 50/50 Glyphosate (Round-Up) and water. Then 50/50 Glyphosate and RV winterizing anti-freeze, if you are worried about it freezing. I would then suggest Triclopyr (Garlon) with a crop oil, diesel or other surfactant. I would have to check a label to see what is suggested as a mixture, but I think it is between 15-25% active ingredient.

I know a lot of people would suggest Tordon (Picloram & 2-4D). The issue with this is that it is often over applied. Any that has soil contact can trans-locate easily and create a dead zone of any plants. It can also trans-locate through root grafts to species that you may not want to kill.

I would suggest contacting your District Forester, or a private Forester that could make recommendations based specifically on what they see on the ground.

thanks Forestryguy. I was thinking August as you said, but as I stumbled on a few posts online about garlon/diesel mixtures (25% rate) working in the winter...I thought I'd see if anyone had success there. Avoiding the heat and the ticks might make the job easier and keep me in the field longer so I was hoping for that as a good option. going to be my '15 project for sure.

That would've great, you happen to know any folks that do timber burns I'm SE Iowa? Little scared to try it myself....maybe I will call PF....

Not sure if PF would do a timber burn or not. Call around to some of the forestry contractors or your District Forester. They should know who will do that for you or help you out. Sometimes Volunteer Fire Depts will do it also for a donation. Or they will at least come help so that the equipment is there, and they can count it as training hours.

Top Bottom