Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

WALNUT SALES- Best article (Iowa based) ive ever seen....

There is a guy in Wisconsin that cuts down, mills and sells his own lumber and does really well. I know tons of work---not for me!! But cuts down fairly low number trees and mills it into flooring and other wood products and makes a living on 200 acres. I think he installs it as well.

Maybe Skip could add that to he repertoire??

A little extreme, but you sure can't deny the beauty of black walnut.

walnutfloor.jpg

Thanks Crietveld, I appreciative the feedback! Wish I had the equipment to slab a bunch of walnuts and some other trees, live edge furniture is really nice. Even if I could slab it myself I'm not sure how it would cure in a shed or detached garage. I heard that walnut that's been submerged in water has some good value? I have one that's been laying in the creek since 2011.

Thanks Crietveld, I appreciative the feedback! Wish I had the equipment to slab a bunch of walnuts and some other trees, live edge furniture is really nice. Even if I could slab it myself I'm not sure how it would cure in a shed or detached garage. I heard that walnut that's been submerged in water has some good value? I have one that's been laying in the creek since 2011.
Side note: You can make the heart wood disappear by submerging in water. All the wood turns the dark color. Did this way back in HS when making deer plaques.

Walnut air dries pretty well if you stack and sticker it right. I dry mine outside for a year then move it into the loft of my garage to finish drying. One year of air drying per Inch of thickness is what I have been told. You can probably find somebody with a portable mill to come saw for you on site. Woodmizer has a list on their website of people who do that.

If you have a decent size chainsaw 20 -24" bar you can buy an Alaskan mill and ripping chain and saw your own, that's what I have been doing.

Recent walnut cut in Western Iowa.

Attachments

• 8530D596-6DE0-4BEC-9B72-EFE7E2D80AF7.jpeg
    8530D596-6DE0-4BEC-9B72-EFE7E2D80AF7.jpeg
    783 KB · Views: 192
  • 0C3D69AB-3182-4250-8BFC-6A87F88E51E8.jpeg
    0C3D69AB-3182-4250-8BFC-6A87F88E51E8.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 215
Nice trails added, plus a few oak/walnut to cut up for man cave.

Attachments

• 820DAD0A-EC3F-44BC-ACB7-C236E1E1AF4E.jpeg
    820DAD0A-EC3F-44BC-ACB7-C236E1E1AF4E.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 8F3E745A-61D7-47A8-8713-2C7EDC4BD27D.jpeg
    8F3E745A-61D7-47A8-8713-2C7EDC4BD27D.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 194
Buddy of mine just bought 60k of walnut in western Iowa. He's getting worried about tariffs in the future which could make prices go down quite a bit. Its not something I've followed or researched

A little extreme, but you sure can't deny the beauty of black walnut.

View attachment 117436
OH MY GOSH!!!!!! That’s so great!!!!!!! I just saw this!!!!! Only way to top this is to build a house out of shed antlers!! Wow that’s cool!!!

Well done on the sale! The prices, Logic of “harvesting ripe fruit” & economy got my lazy butt out marking. I just got done marking about 170 lumber grade walnuts that are ready with about 8-10 big veneer creek bank leaners that need to get yanked before they wash away. Gonna test this market real soon. Well done on ur sale!!!

helped our local logger take out 55 walnut trees from my bro in law up here in mid to east northern iowa we had a couple buyers fighting over them but not sure who gets them yet.im figuring on getting bout 100 more off the other side of creek next winter.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom