Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Warm Camo Advise Needed

J

johnnyv

Hello all!
I have been visiting (lurking) for awhile just reading, got some arrow wraps, they are awesome.
I am relatively new to bowhunting and loving it!
I am planning to buy some cold weather camo and need some input.
I am looking at a jacket/pants of 430 gram fleece vs. Jacket/bibs with 7oz. quilted hollofil. The question is which is a better choice for bowhunting in IA. I think the hollofil will be warmer but the fleece quieter. What do you guys think? Other opinions on these two items appreciated as I am being more indecisive on this one than I can handle (I'm acting like my wife
blush.gif
)
Thanks,
John
newbie.gif

Thanks,
John

I can't help you much with your questions about the camo, but I'm sure other's will turn in some great advise soon.

However.....

waytogo.gif
Welcome to iowawhitetail johnnyv!
waytogo.gif

Use the layer system...nothing to big and bulky or you will have trouble moving and positioning for shots. If you think it might be to noisy it is!!!
good luck
893End-thumb[1].gif

i think they will both work great, i think the main thing is they got to be windproof, i bought my first pair of windproof bibs and coat and dont know how i ever lived without them, they are soo much warmer, the only thing i dont like about fleece, is the millions of burrs i seem to get into, anyways goodluck this year!!!!
beerchug.gif

Windproof material is very nice. Fleece is very quiet, but attracks many friends. Quiet material is a must. I recommend layering. The camo I wear all year is uninsulated. You learn how to dress to stay warm. My layering garments (fleece windstopper) are the key.

Something with windstopper or Goretex is a must in my opinion. You can reduce your layers to acheive the same comfort level as other insulated stuff yet have the freedom to move. I hate to spend the extra money but if you are not comfortable, you won't be out there when the big one comes past your stand

Welcome to bowhunting and iowawhitetail! Be advised though, both can be highly addictive and habit forming.

I think you've been getting great advice. Layering is a great concept. you can always add a little or take off a little to adjust to conditions. A wind stopping layer is critical. You can't put on enough insulation to make up for heat lost via wind on a cold windy day. Don't forget to cover your head to keep your feet (and body) warm.

Good hunting!
Old Buck

John, we just have too many options these days. Thus too many decisions. It should be simple, just go hunting.

For bowhunting I like lightweight camo and layering medium and light weight cotton & polyprop insulation.

Easy to adjust when needed and no one thing is very bulky.

I have some holofil insulated bibs I wear during late MZLDR season but it makes me feel like I am inside a suit of armor.
eviljudge.gif

Welcome aboard and safe hunting to you.
waytogo.gif

Thank you all!!!

Thanks to all who advised on this one! I went ahead and purchased the fleece jacket, insulated bomber and insulated bibs so I could do a little more with layering.
Now I'm as happy as a court jester sandwiched between a swaying butt and a dancing banana!
bootyshake.gif
jester.gif
yay.gif
And let me tell ya, that's happy! And I hope no one over analyzes the jester, butt, banana thing!!!
blush.gif

John

Re: Thank you all!!!

Buy a kidney warmer. I'm amazed at how long I can stay out while wearing one. I also don't wear as many layers as I use to. Give it a try.

mole

Kidney warmer?

Hey Mole, what's a kidney warmer and where can I buy one? What kind of price tag?

Re: Kidney warmer?

I bought mine at Wal-Mart. It was on clearance and cost around $7-10 regular price.
Its a belt that has pockets to hold hand warmers. I know some guys have sewn pockets into their clothes. Whatever works. You will stay toasty warm all day
grin.gif

mole

Re: Kidney warmer? TTT

I froze my stones off yesterday and decided to have my wife put her Mothers Day present to use. She sewed two pockets inside one of my snug fitting long underwear shirts. I put the hand warmers in them this a.m. and was good until lunchtime. The kidney routine works!
waytogo.gif

Kidney warmers are deffinetly a great idea. If you can keep your back and kidneys warm you will not stiffen up and start shivering.

"Hot Hands" hand warmers are the best thing I have seen in a long time. I do not where gloves at all. I just keep my hands in my pockets with a couple of the large size until I am ready to shoot.

I have been using this same system. One in each boot one in the release hand pocket one on my neck and one on each kidney. Another note the bigger hand size claims to last up to 18 hours the smaller foot size only 6. Go for the big ones.

One point to be made about those handwarmers. Say you can only hunt half the day and have to do something else. Put them in a baggie & squeeze all the air out. They will cool off and you can re-activate them in the future. Many times I'll hunt the AM and then put them in the baggie in my truck and re-activate them for the afternoon hunt. I know they don't cost alot of money but there's no sense in wasting them! Maggs

I would'nt worry about the one perfect cold weather coat. That big winter parka is usually to much. I use a XXL fleece jacket that by itself isnt enough to keep me warm going to the mail box on a early Nov day. You need to layer your cloths. Find Quiet cloths that will fit over each other like a glove. You might have to barrow some of your wifes fleece, remember to keep it snug not baggy. Now go and buy that $30 XXL fleece jacket. Practice and you will be surprised at how flexable you are.

Top Bottom