Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Watering Plots

Jbohn

Does anybody water their plots ? I have a stream running through my property and I am thinking about how to do this. Thought about a trash pump set up and run hoses when needed. I know it takes something crazy like 27,000 gallons for a inch of rain. Don't know if the creek will keep up with a trash pump I think they pump like 100-150 gallons a minute. Thought about a small sump pump run of Battery on Ranger but that might be all day affair.

Love to hear what other do or if it's worth it. I have personally never had a plot fail using Paul's mix on cereal or Brassicas. I do know that my white clover plots look like pretty sad. they do bounce back in the fall. Maybe they would be more attractive with keeping them watered if I can. I would think it would help very well on Corn or Beans

I have 2 plots that are right next to the creek so I don't need 1000 foot of hose.. That would be a plus.

27,000 gallons for an inch of rain on an acre is pretty close. I'm thinking in order to pump out of a public stream or body of water you have to have some sort of "permission" from the DNR?? But yeah, if you can pump 100 gall/min, it'd only take a few hours to get your inch of water. Let us know what you decide/find out.

NWBuck

I did tree nursery last year with trash pump. It’s a pain in the butt. It does help. R u that dry over there?

We received about a Inch total in June and most of that came in tenths so we haven't had a good rain always seem to go around us. Crazy with all the rain north of us River is nuts. I was just looking for option I know one good rain can get is back on track. I use the cereal mix there was moisture in the soil there for sure. Was just looking for some options on my white clover plots.

I ran an underground sprinkler system for a clover plot once. No joke. Pop up heads and all. Worked great, def Overkill, probably never do it again tho. Drurys posted some pretty cool stuff the other day with a gravity feed approach... It was pretty cool. Check it out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In the next week or so I am having a pond repaired and the adjacent food plot expanded. After that is completed i will be looking to do the same thing.

Top Bottom