Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weather impact?

IBH1983,
The 1st link comments on alfalfa but I've read elsewhere that hay or alfalfa can be fatal if they eat too much and it's not recommended for winter weather as a supplement.

Maybe I am missing it.... I don't see any publication stating hay/alfalfa is bad. I am currently feeding it so would like to know more.

Secondly, I would take any articles written by any of the "buck on a bag" companies with a big grain of salt. They may have an agenda.....

I have fed a LOT of alfalfa over the years. The only side effect I ever noticed was more antlers laying around.

I have been feeding hay (mostly grass/clover mix - field is spotty on alfalfa) the past 8-9 years more as bait for pics. As a disclaimer, this is on cattle farms, where hay and hay fields are accessible (although we don't really notice any deer activity where the hay is stacked. I usually get a few weeks out of a 50 lb bale so I don't think they are gorging on it. Pure alfalfa probably wouldn't last as long as I think they like it better. A lot of years grass hay will last a long time with a mild winter. This year may be different tho with more snow and colder temps (I put some out a few weeks ago but haven't been back to check on them yet). I haven't noticed any dead deer in the immediate area of where I've fed. I've found a few carcasses in the spring over those years, but I've found them on properties where I've fed and others where I haven't, so I just assume it was other causes.

Top Bottom