Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

West

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I'd love to go out west on an elk hunt, but thinking maybe a pronghorn antelope hunt first might be more doable/better success chances? Looking at maybe going 2019. I would want to do public/diy style. I have read that WY is a good place to start, does that requirement of a guide apply to pronghorn hunting there? Any tips on what unit would be good to go and any tips in general would be appreciated.

No guide requirement for pronghorn unless you are hunting them in a wilderness area (which you won't be doing). Good luck!

You definitely do not need a guide. Wyoming just requires a guide in designated wilderness, which is not antelope country. Antelope hunts are a fun hunt, and so is elk hunting but they are very different. I wouldn’t necessarily steer you away from doing an elk hunt on your first western hunt, but it would take a lot more research and planning than a pronghorn hunt. There are lots of research tools available online for selecting an area. Look at gohunt and onx maps. you should also consider purchasing preference points in wyoming this year to possibly open up a few more options for units when you are ready to hunt.

What weapon type are you planning on using and what size of animal are you looking for?

Was thinking rifle just to get my feet wet, would love to take one with archery equipment, but want to also puts odds in my favor for first experience.

As far as size, I don't know, I don't know scoring on them etc. Just want to shoot a buck and have it so he has hooks, i'm not picky at all other than that.

Awesome thanks josh! This is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem! I'll be adding a whole section on the forum dedicated to helping people apply out west and how to start doing your own research. I've been pretty busy lately but now have some more down time to help contribute to the forum.

Great information that was shared. I think a rifle antelope hunt is the perfect first western hunt. And Wyoming has a lot of great options for you with good numbers of goats in most all units. Too late to apply this year for a tag but might make sense to buy a point for next year (currently open to do so). Good luck with your hunt!

Top Bottom