Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wet spring food plotting?

So in the past I've somewhat followed DBL tre's rotation with followings fall planted brassica with spring planting oats and clover. As wet as it is and the upcoming forecast when would it be to late or a waste yo plant clover with the oats?
I always follow up in the fall with eye and red clover.
So should I just plant straight oats to keep the weeds down for now? Just seems I might not get stuff planted for a few weeks and the clover would be there short term before planting rye and clover again in late Aug.
I do use a no th drill of that would make any other ideas help.
Thanks

No doubt I’d plant em. U are not running into timing issues with running too late. Let it dry out and put ur clover & oats down. No issue what so ever.

No doubt I’d plant em. U are not running into timing issues with running too late. Let it dry out and put ur clover & oats down. No issue what so ever

Sligh- would you still use Crimson or something comparable and then kill it all in early August to replant the Red clover and Rye?
Or would you just plant red clover now and mowvoats before they seed and then try drilling Rye onto the established red clover,? Not sure if that would even work??? Lol

Thanks again

Do u want the dbltree rotation later?
If u want permanent clover- do a blend now- with whites. If u are going to drill into it without killing - I’d still add whites. If u r gonna kill it - then I’d go red, crimson, berseem, etc types of clovers.
All these things would work. Yes- u could drill into clover sod. It’s not going to be ideal but it does work.
Pretty much any of these ideas are viable & a lot of methods or hair splitting to do. If it’s big area- I’d be trying to do 40%-ish into brassicas later & 40%-ish into dbltree cereal rye mix too. Clover choice now is not critical - do a variety & only reason for leaving out some whites is a very tiny amount of cost savings if u gonna fry later anyways. Good luck.

Top Bottom