Wet spring

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by bkcrrtnps, May 28, 2019.

1. bkcrrtnps

bkcrrtnps Well-Known Member

Some believe that a wet Spring leads to better antler growth.....I personally don’t think it is any different than an average Spring but think that weather is a bigger factor in July and August.....thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

If it does, this could be the "best" year as it is wet everywhere!!

bkcrrtnps likes this.
  4. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

If there's any truth to it I should see a 300 incher this year!

Daver likes this.
  5. cybball

cybball PMA Member

I believe it leads to very wet antlers.

LoessHillsArcher likes this.
  6. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

100% makes a difference, however, winter hung on so long this year amd that has the opposite effect. To what degree do they offset each other..... I have not a clue

6x6, Jbohn, Daver and 1 other person like this.
  7. breiner11

breiner11 Well-Known Member

After all this moisture, how is it possible Loneranger will be ok?? I’m seriously worried about his well being. Prayers for him

breckhawk, 6x6, isu22andy and 5 others like this.
  8. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Rain causing lush spring growth might jump start antler development. But....
    Locally, we had a brutal winter with very cold temps with food under ice. I’ve found multiple dead deer this spring, my bet is young and stressed deer succumbed to the weather. Now, we have a mulberry tree in the back yard that is just now starting to leaf. Also have a paw paw just now leafing out. So much for early green up.
    Deer have been pounding the alfalfa field, which usually has a first cutting last weekend. One f’d up spring, haven’t got the garden muddled in yet. At least our corn acres got in, will worry about plant population later.

Not expecting better antler growth this year.

9. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Late winter with cold spring + brutally cold winter= not good. Lots of rain = very good for antler growth. Wonder if it might be a “wash” if stays wet? But yes, absolutely agree lots of rain means bigger racks & bigger jumps for bucks.

IowaBowHunter1983 likes this.
  10. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 Active Member

What is everyone's opinion on this scenario throwing in more than ample winter feed with excess standing crop left in the field?? Deer pounded the crops left in the fields from the prolonged harvest. You think this factor could outweigh the deep snow and cold for antler growth?? If so, and wet spring is also good, could make for some nice hunting this fall.

11. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

i would assume a normal moisture spring would be a good thing for antler growth. But i think if you couple the harsh long winter with the high amounts of water would have to have a negative effect on both antlers and fawn recruitment. The high water and mud I would think would make it easier for predators to "catch" the fawns. The only reason I believe the ample water amounts are a good thing are because they dont have to stress to locate hydration. I think stress is most likely the number 1 factor in antler growth outside of proper nutrition. So if thats the case they it may just be an average year.......disclaimer**** I have no idea what im talking about, only speaking of what makes sense in my tiny brain

12. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

I dont beleive so as these fields were so sporadic...so yes in some areas where these fields were located then yes it could have a positive effect but other areas not so much

13. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Despite all our foodplot and cropping efforts, the bulk of a deer's diet is native browse. More rain= more browse growth. More growth = higher nutrient uptake by our favorite critters and better antler expression. Look up protein content on native plants and "weeds" and forbes. Many are crazy high.

Junkyard likes this.
  14. Daver

Daver PMA Member

FWIW, I am persuaded similarly ^^. I guess we will see, the tough winter put the deer herd "behind" I believe going into the summer. But EVERYTHING the deer are eating now is growing at near max rates...that has to be good IMO.

15. crietveld

crietveld Active Member

These two were grazing in my pasture last night next to my house. The buck was allready outside his ears[​IMG] pretty impressed with what he had so far. Not sure why the doe climbed my manure pile.

16. jjohnson

jjohnson Well-Known Member

So many variables. But I tend to agree a wet yr produces a ton of browse. An early green-up definitely makes a big difference also. 2012 confirmed this. This yr was ok as far as green-up but snow was deep late.

A little worried about corn and beans being so far behind. Even a couple weeks would have to make a difference in crucial growing periods.

I know one thing for sure. By me there will be seas of corn all thru Nov and that blows.