Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wetlands (WRP) and Reed Canary Grass

corygnc

I just purchased a 520 acre parcel that is 50% Iowa River/Timber and 50% WRP (Wetlands Reserve Program). The WRP is virtually all reed canary grass and I think the WRP would be willing to pay to get rid of this invasive grass. I need to put together a plan to replace the reed canary.

I was thinking of mowing the existing reed canary grass around August 1st, spray it with Round Up, come in next spring and no till RR Beans and then get it into Cave In Rock Switchgrass after I harvest the beans. I even thought of planting RR Beans for two years just to make sure I get a good kill on the reed canary. I think WRP may go for it if I make the case that it is the only way to control the reed canary.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be great. The property is in Central Iowa. Just South of Tama, Iowa.

Thanks for any feedback!

what ever you do you're not going to want to plant just switch. you'll have the same monoculture you have now.

[ QUOTE ]
what ever you do you're not going to want to plant just switch. you'll have the same monoculture you have now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more ... diversity is the key to wildlife management.

If NRCS will let you, the soybean/round-up combination will at least let you set back the reeds canary, but the reed canary grass dominates that area because it is the most successful species and without some serious, annual management activity after two years of RR beans you will likely see the reed canary grass come back and dominate again.

The only native grass species that I have seen outcompete reed canary in wet areas is prairie cordgrass (aka ripgut). It is expensive to establish because it is usually planted in plugs (like tree seedlings) but it spreads quickly.

I would suggest a mix of praire cordgrass in the wet areas, pin oak and swamp white oak (in 3 gallon pots) in the dryer spots, and cave-in-rock switch with a few foodplots to hunt over on the high spots ... if you have any. You will likely be fighting reed canary grass forever in the location you describe. Glyphosate is the best chemical to setback reed canary grass but it takes a very heavy dose ... it will be a waste of time to use less than 64 oz. per acre.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Glyphosate is the best chemical to setback reed canary grass but it takes a very heavy dose ... it will be a waste of time to use less than 64 oz. per acre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes 64 oz is a waste of time on RCG, but its all you can apply.

Sorry to tap in on your post, but, what if the canary grass is dominant in a timber setting? How do you kill it so that seedling trees can compete?
confused.gif

Top Bottom