Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What are you seeing?

First, I'm talking southeastern Iowa.
I have seen does buy themselves, a basket rack by himself. Sat. afternoon a nice 10 pointer, I jumped him going to my stand. Sunday morning three basket racks together. I would have to say the rut is around 10 to 12 days away in my area.
Good Hunting!!!
BOWDUDE

Went out sat, 10-27. Saw a small fork chasing a few does. Saw another small 7 point in the afternoon, and when the 7 saw the fork, the 7 left the area. The fork had a large body for the size of his rack. I rattled and grunted the fork to me. Both bucks gave me broadside shots at 15 yards, but.....QDM!!
cool.gif
This is first sign of any rutting activity. (southwest cass county)

I can't believe how much corn is still in!If we would have had any nasty weather at all it would have been Thanksgiving before it would have all been out.

I have talked to several pheasant hunters that are reaffirming the low to no pheasant number. A few hunters kicked up some nice bucks out walking Saturday/Sunday and most of the time they ran back into the corn or the timber.

Looks like a typical year to me, usual pre-rut activity going on. The wind usually keeps the animals closer to there beds and cover. It won't be long now....

Good Hunting!

TLH

Had deer come out last night 11-28 at about 4:45 pm,one small 6pt. came in tearing up small trees,when three does came in behind him.He gave each one a chase grunting all the way.Then a small 8pt.came in and I thought they might spar the way they were acting,but the 8pt.kept looking behind him,when I sen two does running around and seen a body and heard grunting but could not see headgear.Still have unpicked corn 50yrds from my stand also.May be out in the next week!Hunting in so.warren co.near new virgina.

Sodbuster, what part of SWCass county? don't give me the honey hole of course, just what town.

Hell we may be hunting damn close to each other.

BTW on the interstate back towards home last night, Council Bluffs, a good deal of combines humming into the night. The recent freezes have dropped the moisture levels inthe corn so it should start coming out quicker now.

Hey there I've enjoyed this sight for awile, and I finally joined up. I went out tonight 10-29-01 I saw an 8 a 10 and a 9 and also 5 does. It was a great night beautiful weather, a big ole moon and lots of action. The 9 pointer came about 5 yards from my tree then stood broad side at about 10yds. Awesome!! The bucks were rubbing and scrapping hard but thats about it. All three bucks were by themselves. The 10 and 9 came in about 10 minutes apart. I could still here the 10 point breaking up trees when the 9 point came in. Man I love bow hunting!!!

Shoot straight
Frank

Went out tonight and rattled in a small 6 pointer,shortly after he left the area I started getting ready to leave about 5:50 pm lowered my bow to the ground and heard another deer approaching so I just stayed up in the stand,the buck finally showed himself,and what a BUCK!!All I could do was watch as he tore up a scrape and then walked within 15 yard's of my stand.He never made me so I know where I'll be tommarrow evening.Hopefully he will show up a little earlyer tomarrow evening.
He is a 10 point with a couple stikers around the brow tine's look's to be a 150 class.He was in no hurry to leave,I do not think the rut has got going yet or he would not have hung around as long as he did.
Thing's are really starting to get intresting!!!

Still seeing rubs being hit very frequently in Buchanan Coutny, but no decent deer. Rattled in a small 8-pointer Saturday monring who really wanted to pick a fight with my decoy but stopped short of knocking it over.

I saw one small doe walking fence row later that morning. For the rest of the weekend all I saw were small bucks and does coming out of standing corn briefly, then going right back in. Once the corn goes down I'm sure I'll see more deer. Again, lots of sign of nocturnal activity, but nothing seen from the stand.

Sure is boring staring at cornfields all morning long! I agree with Bowdude, it's going to be a week week-and-a-half before they rally get into it.

Sludge, about 8 miles SW of Massena. I see we're both traveling from Co Bluffs.

scammed out of work today at 11 AM got to stand at 2:15PM
2:40 PM saw deer comming good buck
2:43PM REALLY GOOD BUCK 45 yrds away
shocked.gif

2:49PM 40 yrds away messed up rack 7 short points (tallest 8 in) on left horn 6 long tines (G-2 12+)
was limping badly on rt ft let ankle all swollen looked like knee stiff also
entire leg smaller very large deer guess 200# +
walked past stand at 30 yrds didn't take the shot
4:40PM another good buck at 50 yrds 150 class 10 pt wind picking up must have sented me snort then back the way he came (knew i should have bought one of those sentblocker suits!! also saw 9 does & fawns can't wait for vacation 12th - 20th!!!!! heres hoping for cooler weather in clayton co

Shot a doe over the weekend. 15 yards (how do you miss at 15 yards). From the tree stand, I thought I missed her. After waiting an hour until the deer activity slowed down, I climbed down, walked to the spot where the arrow was, and noticed my broadhead was broken with blood on the arrow. I started tracking. Great blood trail for about 100 yards, then spots, then on my hands and knees looking for traces. After 4 hours, We found where she had bedded because of the fresh blood. No deer.
frown.gif
After a long dry spell with no venison, I wanted that one. I have two doe tags plus my state wide tag. I'll be out again this weekend..it looks like it's going to be good!
grin.gif

Always a bad deal when you lose a deer. Sorry to hear about it.

I've now got a small 6-point that comes by once a day to say hello. Same time every day he walks through about 60 yards off and tears up trees. He doesn't respond to grunting, bleating, rattling, nada. And I mean doesn't respond at all. He just goes about his business of killing trees.

I moved my stand out to where the does have been coming out of the woods. Hopefully once the bucks start chasing a little bit more intensely, they will be following them out there as well. I'm starting to see some scraping activity as well, but nothing that indicates large deer.

Sodbuster, if it was a windy Sunday where you were as it was near Exira were I was at, Missing at 15 is COMPLETELY understandable.

I drew back and aimed at a stump a few times just to see IF I could hold the sight on it in that blasted wind.

That moon I saw last night got me all kids of excited! might try to blast out early on Friday.

I was hunting Sat & it wasn't windy where I was. It was a south wind and I was on the north end of a piece of timber. I just lost my concentration. I don't even think I entered the rib cage. I think I just cut her. Pick a spot..concentrate...hunting 101!

Left for work this morning around 8:30 a.m., saw 2 does bedded down in a picked cornfield right off of highways 30 & 13 just south of Marion...Came back torwords the house around 10:15 a.m. and the 2 does are still laying out in the field, have not moved a bit..Guarantee when I get off of work tonight those 2 will be gone. Can not wait to get out Saturday morning, it has been killing me all week.

Saw several bucks this morning, a few nice ones.

Here is one of them, as you can see light conditions were tough and by no means does this photo do this buck justice but he is a good one.

Good Hunting!

uploadedPublic110201.jpg

I hunted all last week and saw 2 bucks. The temp is playing a haulting role right now but you should see a huge increase in activity this weekend. Good Luck

Top Bottom