Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What bullet to use for elk in colorado?

Hoyt Freak

PMA Member
I will being going to Colorado elk hunting this year with the muzz. I am looking for opinions on a good bullet but they can't be a sabot.

with it being a tc " Not the best choice for conicals" your best bet is to stick with conicals like the Thor, Hornady FPB or the heavier powerbelts.

TC's can just be horrible with conicals due to the often misaligned QLA at the end of the barrel. TC even will tell their shooters that their guns are not designed for conicals due to all of the complaints they have got from conical shooters.

But try those bullets above. The 338gr Powerbelt Platinum is as light as i would go for elk with a powerbelt. Better would be the 348gr Flat Point or 405gr Powerbelt.

The Thor will be the toughest bullet for the job. Just email them for a sizing sample and include your name/address. The sizing sample is free. www.thorbullets.com

i know it but they go to the extreme and put a huge 3/4" long qla at the end. Ive been told by a few thats its actually the BORE thats off center. Others that have cut them off, found the QLA was the problem. Kind of a hit and run when it comes to shooting conicals out of their guns.

The hollow base bullets like thor, fpb, powerbelts are basically the best options due to that HB expanding and sealing the gasses better.

Bottom line is if it's off center, it's off center. I doesn't matter what you toss down the barrel, it's going to affect accuracy. And, Great Plains bullets are hollow based also.

Top Bottom