Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what do u guys think

ia_buck

Ok i have a reminton 700 muzzle loader. Lately it had missed fire alot but when i dry fire it fires everytime. But when its loaded it miss fires. It dents the primer everytime just no boom lol. Just wondering what u guys think i have used 2 different primers. Triple 7 and reg shotgun primers. Thanks for the ideas

Not sure what to tell you there. my dad had a remington 700 and misfired on 3 big bucks one late season. He sold it after that. Sweet looking guns though.

I assume you are saying the primer fires for a dry fire...I also assume the primer goes off when you get a miss fire. Did you pull the nipple out and make sure it is clear and has no burnt powder stuck in it? Other than wet powder I can't see any reason it would miss fire all the time.

Had that happen to me when I had a Rem. muzzleloader. Go to your manual and it will tell you how to get the bolt apart. Clean it up and add alittle oil. Should fix it.

Is the primer still firing, just not igniting the powder? If so, sounds like the breech plug needs a good cleaning. What kind of powder are you using? If you are using blackhorn 209, not all breech plugs have an opening that's big enough to efficientlyt light that powder. Also, make sure you have fresh powder and not something that may have gotten damp from sitting in a humid basement all year.

Better get it to an expert. Any gun that misfires is not worth keeping IMO

Agree, unless you can find what might be a simple to fix problem. If you want to get rid of it, I am interested. :grin:

As already asked, need more info. Is the primer failing to fire or the black powder?

It sounds to me like a cleaning/maintenance issue.
I would make sure the flash hole in the breech plug isn’t plugged with fouling.

To me it sounds like the breech plug is plugged. I've never seen a Remington Breech Plug however it shouldn't be any different than the rest. Try to find a welding cleaning tip kit and find the right size and clean out the hole. I would be this fixes your problem.

If the Primer is not going off I would guess you are getting a miscenter of your firing pin on the primer. I have seen this happen to several guys and the primer wouldn't fire.

If your primer is going off with just the primer loaded and then not firing with the powder/bullet I am guessing you have a breach issue like the others have mentioned.

Kratz

Top Bottom