Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you do?

tagged out

pulled cards tonight (nothing to show) but did find 2 different dogs on 2 different cams. one coon hound, and this ghost lab. had problems in past with neighbors dogs running deer. witnessed 2 chocolate labs that ran a doe right under my stand a couple of years ago. i found out whose they were and gave him a call. gave me the run around that they weren't his and that his never left the yard ( lives about a mile from where i was hunting). i told him then he wouldn't mind if one came home with an arrow in his guts if they weren't his never saw them again). same dogs where at every other neighbors property and they complained also. also the same year i had 2 coon hounds just before this @ about 4:00 come running by another stand and wind me but never really did anything(another neighbor had about 9 total that just ran loose). I forgot my crappy arrows for the tree rats so they got a free pass. but to my surprise a nice 8 point came down the same fence line as the hounds less than half an hour later! looked pretty nervous and was moving fast so i assume they were running him. what made me more mad i have to admit is the fact i missed the buck low due to not being able to range him fast enough. what i would like to know is, do any of you ever shoot dogs that run deer? here is a picture of the ghost lab i think.
picture.php

Depends... I think every situation would be different. But with repeat offenders, id definitly shoot.

Really, I try calling them, giving them my nicest pissed off neighbor voice, I can muster. If they come, they are good dogs and deserve a chance for their owners to get it under control. If no tags, I like a nasty note in a ziplock, wrapped with duct tape, 10 times loosely around the dogs neck, with a kick in the ass to home. If they run like a coyote, instead of coming when you call..... kill them.

yeah i wouldn't want to shoot first, the labs i tried to call in. they where running alot for a while, crapping in my grandmas yard almost every morning. those hounds came from someone who doesn't hunt coon (his dog got knocked up by another dog on a horse trail ride the neighbor said and had like 9-10 pups that ran wild). surprised that was the only encounter i had with them, but a closer neighbor was not so lucky. would not feel one bit bad about shooting one of them, but they proly all died from him not taking care of them anyway. he is really backwoods.

He has called the owner. Owner denies theyre his...

Id hate to see my dog get shot too, but mine doesnt run around anyones hunting ground, or property outside of my own.

maher2215 said:
Id ask around some people get pretty particulate with their dogs. Hate to see mine get shot.

Keep your dog on your property and ill bet it will never gets shot by any one.

I'd be pissed if somebody shot our dogs. They don't have tags but friendly as ever! During shotgun we keep them in a pen outside for a bit then after that's over we let them back out.

EDIT: They will run max probably 2 miles away from our house if they really want too. Mostly now they stay in the yard because our purebred lab is just too old to go anywhere besides the yard and our puppy just sticks with him.

Last edited:
Its illegal to shoot a dog with a collar so if you do take one out with a collar on, make sure you have a plan to dispose of it where someone can't track it back to you. A dog without a collar is the same as a coyote so shoot away if that's what needs to be done.

I'm not saying that's the solution and I'm not encouraging you to break the law. Every situation has its options. If the dogs are friendly you could always just take them into the local pound and make the owner pay to get them back.

I don't think the answer is to shoot the dog, with or without a collar...remember what goes around comes around....

Shoot Em! If owner cared about the dogs they wouldnt let them just run around in the woods on land they do not own.
Easy answer, shoot em and dont tell anyone! Hunting season done if you dont kill these dogs.
Ill come shoot em for you.

I would not shoot them with the bow. Bring a pistol and let loose.

The last thing we need is a dog running around with an arrow sticking out of it.

I've shot wild dogs on my property during turkey season with the 12 gauge. I've also snared them as well. I have a pretty low tolerance for them as they've snapped the necks of several of our sheep.

we had the same problem a couple years ago on our farm..running deer all the time past trail cameras. Couple years in a row it happened. Had the chance to shoot the old golden retriever but couldnt bring myself to do so. He eventually left the area.

Hope one of your guys livestock gets out and ends up in someone's yard with a .243 round stuck in its head...shooting the dog is no different... Would you shoot a bald eagle if it kept scaring your deer off??

Top Bottom