Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what form?

Rich77

I asked this question last year around this time and it was a huge help.
On friday afternoon I killed my best buck to date with the smoke pole and as an 8 I will probably never shoot a better one!
Ive been staring at forms for 2 days trying to decide what to put him on.
Right now im almost set on a revolution "sneak sweep" or a similar form from Joe Coombs. Im open to almost anything if anyone has a favorite form.
I have 6 on the wall right now, all are MacKenzie forms so im looking to branch out a bit but dont want to do any sort of pedestal or wall pedestal, it just wont work in our current house.

Yes yes I know I need to get some pics up and I intend to do that but im always slow on getting pics up. It may be a few days.
Thanks alot fellas

I love the looks of a full sneak with an offset shoulder.. I like the Meder forms. The full sneak shows off the rack better IMO.. kind of like how if you push the deer out further in front of you in a photo, it makes the rack look bigger compared to whatever sets behind it, for example, it's neck and shoulder. Upright tends to shrink the rack more but shows off a swelled neck better and a semi sneak is a happy medium.

Hey bud, My personally opinion is you should go with: 1. Mears 2. Matuska 3. OTS..

I am not a fan of full sneaks and especially for a mature slammer 8 like the one you just took down.

All three would make the buck look great. Your buck has a really good cape and my original thought would be mutuska's line of competitor choice forms.. Mears is the best in my opinion for mature buck look.. I love the SUO series line of forms from Mears..

OTS forms are the most anatomically correct forms on the market for whitetails (opinion). They are super nice forms.. They are becoming very popular.

Semi sneak or Semi upright for me with maybe an offset shoulder..
Breiner11 will probably chime in and give you a better opinion..

Realistically a good qualified taxidermist can alter any form you choose. If they can't , they are not much of a taxidermist ! Form altering is one of the great things about it , make your own ideas into reality. A line that gets overlooked but is one of the most anatomically correct comes from Matuska in Spirit Lake. I'll admit McKenzie forms look good but a lot of them are off a bit in the correctness dept ! Personally not a fan of Coombs at all , I've mounted on all three.

I just did one on a Matt Thompson and I was very pleased with the anatomy and the swell of the neck. Especially for Iowa deer. I have not tried an OTS yet. I know a lot of people like them but something just looks funny about the jawline to me on those forms. I do like the Meder forms as well.

quite honestly, a picture of the rack would help too... not saying you have to, but sometimes it helps... a wide rack looks better on certain forms, a narrow and tall one looks better on others... just a thought

^^^
Easy there impact. Read the whole thing..
Thanks so far for all the help, its given me some ideas ive never looked into.
But for the sake of the rack its 19 1/2"s inside and has 26 3/4" beams so I think it will look good on any form I choose just trying to find some new things that other people have liked over the years. Or something new that ive overlooked.
Ill try to get a few pics up tonight

^^^
Easy there impact. Read the whole thing..
Thanks so far for all the help, its given me some ideas ive never looked into.
But for the sake of the rack its 19 1/2"s inside and has 26 3/4" beams so I think it will look good on any form I choose just trying to find some new things that other people have liked over the years. Or something new that ive overlooked.
Ill try to get a few pics up tonight

Relax it was a joke Rich :rolleyes:
I've mounted almost every pose and the sneak sweep from Revolution is just average. I know you said you don't want a pedestal but check this one out I did two years ago. If you really want to display a once in a lifetime 8 pointer I cannot think of a better way. And everyone who has seen it say's, "Wow". It only takes up about 2'x2' of floor space, surely you can find room for that?
DSC02449_zps9798c08c.jpg

That pedestal looks amazing!
U think id be shoulder mounted right next to it if I brought that home to the wife though.
Fantastic job in the taxidermy of that deer!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
9600 HDU is what i did for my shotgun buck! Looks really cool from what the pictures show on the mckienze website. I like how it makes the deer look muscular in the neck and makes him look like a bada$$!

I already have one on a 6900 hd but I do like that form. If anyone has any free time and would like to post some pics for me as I don't have computer acess tonight that would be great. Just shoot me a pm.
Maybe it will help with choosing a form. Thanks alot

Here is a nice form you may consider, it's the Ben Mears Off-Set Sweep series and it has many sizes that will likely work for your deer.

e468b10c-e379-4c56-8532-08a9003a268b_zps2d7831a2.jpg

1389060835_zps204cd8fc.jpg

Here is a nice form you may consider, it's the Ben Mears Off-Set Sweep series and it has many sizes that will likely work for your deer.

e468b10c-e379-4c56-8532-08a9003a268b_zps2d7831a2.jpg

1389060835_zps204cd8fc.jpg

Yep, That is one of them. Also, You should look into ben mears semi upright offset shoulder.. If you don't like those.. Definitely look into the Matuskas for that Deer..

Good thing you didn't run into to a game warden who's a "by the book warden" with the way those antlers are tagged. In regards to your original question I'd consider where it's going to be placed. Normally a rack has a certain unique thing you want to show so I turn it to accent that.

Your buck appears to be nice no matter what angle you put it at. I'd go with what YOU want and what YOU wil like. I personally am not a huge fan of the full sneak but a nice clean wide racked buck looks pretty sweet on a sneak. Sometimes hunters want a specific pose based on what the buck was doing when harvested.

The nice thing about a floor pedestal is that you can change up the display angle if one gets old as long as the habitat is neutral on the viewing angles. My big one from last year is just going on a wooden pedestal with no habitat on it. Sometimes simple is beautiful, depends on the owners preference.

Congrats on the nice muzzy harvest he's a dandy.

Top Bottom