Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What kind of fish??

I could go catch about 20 in a pond right now...I think they're sunfish and they take over ponds just like Erick said.

EDIT: Although they do look like Warmouth...

Last edited:
green sunfish, not a warmouth a warmouths characteristic feature is 4 or 5 reddish brown streaks from the eye across each side of the head, and the iris of the eye is red.

We catch them all the time in our 'bullhead' pond.. we always called them warmouths.. aggressive little boogers

We catch them all the time in our 'bullhead' pond.. we always called them warmouths.. aggressive little boogers

YEP...I think they are green sunny crossed with war-mouth.

I caught one a few years ago that was half black, half yellow. A true "hawkeye" fish :D

I talked to a guy that owns a bait shop in Albia today and he showed me some green sunnies that they sell for bait and that is definately what it is. Said they are the same as Warmouth and they can get up to about 1.5 lbs and better eating than a bluegil, but thye tend to over populate and stunt. Said I should put a few big flatheads in the pond to really thin them out.

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:
Sunfish hybrids are the toughest things to identify. Even when we could get it somewhat narrowed down back in the lab we still had a split on what everyone who keyed it out thought it was. In the 15+ years I worked in DNR fisheries I've only seen a few warmouth. Warmouth have very distinct colorings on their heads, and this fish doesn't have them the way it's shown in the picture. The odds and percentages are that it's a green sunfish are very good based on the large mouth, blue/green line like colorings radiating from the corners of it's mouth, and the yellowish tinge on the edges of the tail and anal (lower) fin and the fact that green sunfish dispersal covers the ENTIRE state.

muddy said:
Sunfish hybrids are the toughest things to identify. Even when we could get it somewhat narrowed down back in the lab we still had a split on what everyone who keyed it out thought it was. In the 15+ years I worked in DNR fisheries I've only seen a few warmouth. Warmouth have very distinct colorings on their heads, and this fish doesn't have them the way it's shown in the picture. The odds and percentages are that it's a green sunfish are very good based on the large mouth, blue/green line like colorings radiating from the corners of it's mouth, and the yellowish tinge on the edges of the tail and anal (lower) fin and the fact that green sunfish dispersal covers the ENTIRE state.

Fish Nerd has spoken

if you check the links posted on page 2 of the thread, it is definately not a warmouth.

green sunny

Sunfish hybrids are the toughest things to identify.

Not to be a smarta$$, but obviously you've never tried identifying little brown moths. Entomology is easily more of a challenge than feesh:p

sent from my laptop in my recliner

Top Bottom