Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What kind of food plot set ups do you have?

TallTines

I was just wondering what everyone has for food plot setups on their farms. On my farm I put out bags of antlerking trophy mineral supplement on my hunting ground about this time. Then along the logging roads inside the timber I use clover and winter wheat in different spots. I also am going to put some switch grass and other grasses in some areas I would like to make for better bedding areas so they are easier to hunt. I have lots of other ideas but I already use up all the money I have trying to do this. I love working with a farm for QDM. What do you guys/gals have?

Good post TT,
I have a few small plots of rape and oats currently. I've been working with the Private Lands Biologist about putting a plan together to do more native's, crp, and other plots like alphalpa and turnips. I'm also in process of TSI, Timber Stand Improvement.

I would encourage all of you to at least speak to your private lands biologist. They are extremely knowledgable and their service is FREE. Yes, FREE. These guys can lead you in the right direction if you arent knowledgable on the subject.

With a little bit of time and a lot of sweat I should have some decent stands in a few years.
grin.gif

Good Post.

Thanks,

BT

last year at the farm I planted about 1.5 acre in clover with oats between the tillable field and woods in the fall. left 1.5 acres of corn and put 2 acres of rape in last spring. I also did .5 acre of rape at the house in fall. Got accepted for CRP which will go in after this fall. Extreemly excited for that because I have 16 acre tillable ridge that connects multiple draws. The chest high grass should tie everything together for bedding escape and food plots. have been doing timberstand improvement for several years but not aggressively egnough in the past. Realy puttin a hurt on the woods this winter to get the browse and bedding cover the pigs desire. I put in 6,000 trees 4 years ago. the cedar thickets are 4-6 foot now. Hopefully the whole thing will come together in the next 3-5 years and I will have to kick up my taxidermy budget!

Lucky enough to have a 8-9 acre prairie remnant and a great mix of CRP and timber. Allowed about 7 acres of CRP in food plots, most years I have about 5 acres planted in corn, beans, sunflowers, egyptian wheat, etc- anything I do just gets pounded. Just got a new neighbor that is getting ready to work on plots so maybe some pressure will be taken off mine. I have been working on extending natives into other areas and converting smooth brome CRP into other accepted ground covers with clover mixes. Having a larger dozer in this spring to expand an opening in the timber. Always more projects than time.

The plan for this spring includes :
12 acres of corn
2.5 acres of soybeans
1.5 acres of forage sorghum
8 acres of oats, clover, and korean lespedeza
1 acre of just oats
1 acre of clover/alfalfa
3 acres of sorghum, sunflowers

and then in the fall we'll mow and drill winter wheat, rye, and austrian winter peas into some of these areas

also have 40 acres of TSI we're trying to complete, and lots of prescribed burning in our timber and native grasses

it's a busy time of the year

This is my first year with food plots, so I went with the brand name route.
I planted,
1 acre of Tecomate chicory
1/2 acre of Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover
1.3 acres of Biologic clover blend

We are going to try 1 acre of Alfa rack by Whitetail Institute.

Also I put out two mineral sites using 30-06 and Rack Up blended together

This year I'm planting american plum shrubs, hazlenut shrubs, sorghum mix, corn, and adding some more trees, apple, and cedar trees. Cant wait to get started.
grin.gif
Each year I try and gear my plantings towards a specific species type, last year I did more towards deer habitat, food. This year I will do pheasant/turkey and next will go back to working on improving the deer status. Really I feel though everything I do is helping every part of wildlife no matter the species.

[ QUOTE ]
This year I'm planting american plum shrubs, hazlenut shrubs, sorghum mix, corn, and adding some more trees, apple, and cedar trees. Cant wait to get started"......

It's a sick disease called "obsession"....

I just planted several food plots and re-fertilized exsiting ones. My new plots in Illinois are 2 acres of Alfa Rack Plus, 1 acre of Imperial Clover and 3 acres of LabLab. Those I am trying for the first time. I simply fertized 3 other clover/alfalfa plots I planted two years ago. In a couple more weeks I will spray them with select to help keep the weeds out. Really curious about the LabLab. First time trying it....heard a ton of great things about it.

Where do you guys buy your soybeans. In PA they are tough to get. Have to order ahead of time. Thanks.

approximately 25 acres Imperial whitetail Clover mixed with Landino Clover.
As well as 30 acres of standing corn in three differnt plots. You cant beat Standing corn !

Top Bottom