Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What pellet gun for cats?

iabwhntr

I have some stray cats around my house here in town. I'm gonna get a "cat-b-gone" system but I'm not sure if the handheld model is sufficient for...permanent removal. Anybody know an approximate FPS required for pellets to get the job done? Will a pistol do it or do I need a shoulder mounted version?

'Bonker, any suggestions?

Pellet gun is more than likely to allow Tabby to get home and have unhappy owners going to the Vet and contacting the police for animal cruelty.

Bonker would probably suggest a 5 gallon bucket with a 220 coniber, that way you can dispose of the evidence. ;)

I have a .22 RWS air rifle that shoots 700fps. Vitals and head shots on feral cats does just fine on my place. Part of me wants them around for the mice but can't risk them scrapping with my German shorthair. Also a very fun rig for possums and the squirrels that are eating my wires in the barn. Lost count on kills since March. And ammo is cheap!

My dad lives in a small town (no city hall or local police or anything like that) and one of his neighbors has so many cats, it's literally not uncommon to drive by and see 20 of them sitting in the yard. They get in his garage and pee and poop and chase and kill birds off of his feeder. So, he rigged up a 220 Conibear as JNRBRONC mentioned and put it in a bucket and placed it so that the opening of the bucket faces the side of his house with just enough room for a cat to squeeze through, that way he doesn't catch dogs. Gets a couple cats/wk. :D

A buddy of mine taught us when we were younger to drop a small nail down our BB gun barrel for cats. I can say it worked great

I have a .22 RWS air rifle that shoots 700fps. Vitals and head shots on feral cats does just fine on my place. Part of me wants them around for the mice but can't risk them scrapping with my German shorthair. Also a very fun rig for possums and the squirrels that are eating my wires in the barn. Lost count on kills since March. And ammo is cheap!

Thanks, I'll check this one out.

First, did you guys know they had a pellet gun that was .357 caliber? WTH?
Next, that frickin thing costs 900 bucks. For a pellet gun. I have actual firearms that didn't cost that much. Now that I think about it, none of my firearms cost that much.

I had a .22 RWS when I was a young window sniper. I have no doubt it it will do the job. However, I don't remember it being quite. A .22 CB or some other subsonic round is probably less DBs. I got a buddy that plinks wood chucks and rabbits out of his garden in the middle of town and no one has a clue. Including his wife and kids.

Last edited:
For the very few that are bucket shy I use a .223. A shot out in the country isn't uncommon. Even if I shank the shot they aren't gonna make it home. The few cats that are still around are all nocturnal so I'll see them again this fall, in a bucket. I've priced night vision scopes, I can buy a lot of 220's, buckets and coon bait for the cost of the scope. I've seen and heard more songbirds this year than ever before BUT now I have a chipmunk problem. I just use the buckets from the 220 sets, fill it half full of water, throw in some sunflower seeds, smear some peanut butter on the inside, put ramps to the top and catch chipmunks and mice by the bucket full. Lost count on chipmunks at 12ish and mice are over 15. And that was just three weekends of "bucketing".

I use a single .22 caliber rifle and shoot cats with CB 22 caps. They are deadly on cats, less sound than a pellet gun.

I use a live trap with sardines in oil, works great. Cats work great for coyote and fox bait also. Dead or alive. ;)

Top Bottom