Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's your unpopular hunting opinion

You want a meal? Cut up the heart and some loins into 1/4" chunks, mix them, add liberal garlic and wrap them in caul fat. Make fist sized balls and fry that up in garlic butter. Crepinettes are the best
I might have to try that. I'll try anything once.

Having kids under the age of 10 hunting for deer. I really don't like seeing 4 and 5 yo kids killing deer. In my opinion, they don't understand the concept of what they are doing. I know it a very unpopular opinion but i think its more about the parent than the kid. Ok now you can roast me and tell me i am stupid :D

Hunting land I own from a blind on my side of the fence, just off the property line, only shooting on my side of the fence, to keep the interior of my 80 acres from being blown out walking to stands closer to interior.

Food plots are different than feeders.

If you are planting to insure they have adequate food Or cover through the winter, that’s fine. Just don’t hunt over them. Hunting them is no different than putting feeders out.

Maybe not necessarily in most places in Iowa but in IL my unpopular opinion is to stop shooting does for a year or two. Herd numbers are way down compared to the 2000’s and as a result so is the quality of the herd. Try suggesting that opinion to most hunters though and it’s usually not popular or well received. Can’t quite understand it.

Great thread!!!!!!!!

Shorten the season. 4 months is crazy. Sorry- it is.

CWD - WITHOUT A CURE is a pointless waste of resources killing the deer off.... without a cure, in soil forever & can be spread by crows, grazers, stays in plant matter, etc. We can kill off every deer & 20 years later, without cure, still in soil & reinfect when deer repopulate. Run any method or proposals we’ve seen, to its end - without a cure- pointless. IMO. I hope we get a cure.

#1 CWD mis-management

#2 Non-youth, non-elderly or non-disabled using cross “guns”

#3 Underestimating the age of bucks (ie 150”+ 3 yr old deer). I know it can happen in a pen. I just think it’s extremely rare in the wild. Too much winter and
social stress. I would love to see some of these bucks cementum annuli aged. I would guess most of them would be older. Mass is usually directly related to age. Not saying that it can’t happen, but I think it’s extremely rare.

#4 All of these stupid extra “opportunity” seasons (relates back to #1)

#5 We could use less pro-staff “experts”

Sorry if I offended anyone. Just my two cents.

People who make excuses for what they shoot. Sure thought he was bigger, but he or she will have to do.
People who aren't even in the ballpark when it comes to scoring a deer. You'd be surprised how many hunters in Iowa has actually seen a true 150" deer, but call a lot of bucks in the high 130's a 150 plus.

The R3 movement/effort is a colossal waste of time and money unless you have the A3 in place first, and that is ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS.

It makes zero sense to Recruit, Retain or Reactivate if the new or reactivated hunters don't have access access access. It will be impossible to retain current hunters if we lose our access access access.

Since I'm on a roll, organizations that are purposefully blurring the lines between rights and privilege for the profits of their sponsors over the conservation of natural resources.

It is an unalienable right to own and carry a firearm but it is a privilege to hunt. Our privilege to hunt is based on conservation of natural resources not gun ownership.

Still rolling, wealthy, and I mean really really wealthy land owners who may or may not live in Iowa trying to buy their way into the legislative process which will have a huge negative effect on the A3 issue.

The most involved members of Facebook groups (Bowhunters of Iowa, for example) are usually so full of crap you can smell them through the computer screen. Those pages are pure comedy. The topic doesn't matter. Everyone is an armchair deer expert on facebook and many of them have no track record to backup their immense "knowledge".

Top Bottom