Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When is your "must be in the stand" time?

quackmaster

Hey guys,

If you only had a few days, I just wanted to hear when you guys think is the "must" time for bowhunting in Iowa.

I know you guys do not like the "out of staters", there are many here in Arkansas that have the same opionion of out of state duck hunters. I don't get the hate, we are all the same, but that is a different topic.

I got drawn this year and will be hunting zone 7. Do you guys see a majority of pre-rut activity the last of October, first week of November?

Thoughts?

Kris

Last week of Oct. first week of Nov. If your hunting public land you may want to wait til the 3rd-4th week of Nov. Usually the public rush will be over and the deer move back in. I don't think any of us hate out of staters. Maybe just whiny ones. Good luck this fall.

A couple thoughts...I don't think it is accurate to say that we don't like out of staters here on this site. Many people that frequent this site provide direct help to various non-residents in many different forms. Many of the more frequent and popular posters here are in fact non-residents themselves.

Although I am not a spokesman for everyone here by any means...what I would say that we do not like is when a non-resident criticizes the Iowa laws and/or the people of Iowa because the laws/regs are not to their liking. You are just asking for some help and I have seen this exact type of post multiple times in the past and there have always been several helpful responses provided...mostly by residents.

Congratulations on getting drawn, I hope you have a great hunt! Now to answer your main question...the first thing I would say is to search this site for the previous times that this question has been asked and answered. I think the answers are already "out there".

For years I would have said that I like Nov. 1-10, but in the last 4 or 5 years I think I would shift the prime time to Nov. 5-15. But anywhere after Oct. 25th or so can be good.

nov 10-12 would be my best 3 days.But the weather would play a big role.

Weather will play a big role in late oct early nov pre rut also.

I agree with what Daver said. Not hating the out of state hunters and November 10th - 15th are hot for us. We hunt every chance we get but also go by the solunar calendars for "best" and "good" hunting days. According to those the 9th-13th of November should be great and also the 23rd-26th of November. Good luck!

Depends on the area you are hunting. For me my favorite time to hunt is either Halloween and the following week, or the week around Thanksgiving. One problem with the last week of October/first week of November is that there is a chance of the crops still being in. That can make it tough. I have always seen the most deer movement around Thanksgiving and that is when I have had the best chances at mature deer. They are looking for that last doe, but I have also seen some giant deer earlier in the season. It all depends on how restricted you are. If possible I'd try to keep tabs on the crops when deciding to make your trip. Another thing to keep in mind is if you don't fill your tag that go round and you have the option of coming back after the first of the year. If you can find a food source and are willing to freeze your man parts off it is a good time to pattern a mature buck looking for food.

And as to the out of staters statement about residents hating them, the only ones I hate are the ones who poach and cheat the system. In fact I hate most residents more than non residents. Especially the ones who bird watch, hike and use the resources and aren't courteous enough to buy the licenses and habitat stamps that are used to keep the trails and such things in good working condition, but thats another issue.

Last edited:
nov 7-15 is my week of choice. 1st reason is that historically in iowa more pope and young bucks have been killed on the 8th of november than any other day. 2nd reason my wifes birthday is the 16th and I have to be home for that. 3rd reason my daughters birthday is oct 30th and I have to be home for that. That gives me the first 2 weeks of november birthday free and I usually shoot for the second week because it is still possible to have some 70 to 80 degree weather at the beginning of november, if anyone remembers the 2009 season I think the 4,5,6 were all in the 70's. It doesnt kill the deer movement but really slows it down. Congrats on the draw. If I can give you any advice it would be watch the weather and if it looks like it is gonna be cold for awhile anywhere from the end of october through november plan to be here those days. :way:

The 3 best days I've ever had in a stand are Oct 29th, Nov 8th and the day after thanksgiving 2 yrs ago.. moral of the story.. any time from last week of october through november.. with that said I prefer to use the first wk of november for vacation

There are a few variables here. If you are hunting a managed farm with food, do not over look the first week of October if we have a cold spell. I agree with everyone else about November being the cream of the crop, but I have killed 2 good bucks (160plus) in the last 4 years in the first 8 days of October. If you can scout and catch them on a good food source this can be a great week! I love hunting the rut and pre rut, but will never pass on an early season opportunity. Worth keeping in mind if you can make multiple trips this year. Good luck.

First 2 wks of Nov, but you are usually fighting the warmth in southern IA, even then,. I have been in Iowa 6 yrs now and about every yr takes until mid Nov to get a good cold snap. Rut goes on regardless, but more activity at night when it is cool. I have heard the stories about snow in Oct. but I think those days are gone,. Call it "Climate Change", or whatever you want, but warm seems to hang on longer every season, but that is another topic.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

I guess I could have crafted my statement about the dislike some have for "out of staters". I didn't not mean it as a blanket to cover everyone. I've seen some negative posts against people coming to Iowa to hunt, so it was more of a poke than anything. Like I mentioned previously, on our local deer chat board, we have the same "crew" that doesn't want anyone to come shoot "their" ducks.

I have never been to Iowa, so I am looking forward to "seeing the sites and sounds" of y'alls home turf.

I am pretty flexible on my schedule and will definitely be paying attention to the weather. Anything else I need to search out while I am up there?
Worlds biggest ball of yarn? Largest frying pan? Americana stuff!

Thanks again

Kris

Like I mentioned previously, on our local deer chat board, we have the same "crew" that doesn't want anyone to come shoot "their" ducks.

I have never been to Iowa, so I am looking forward to "seeing the sites and sounds" of y'alls home turf.

I am pretty flexible on my schedule and will definitely be paying attention to the weather. Anything else I need to search out while I am up there?
Worlds biggest ball of yarn? Largest frying pan? Americana stuff!

Thanks again

Kris
I don't think you're listening to the answers very well about nonresident hunters. We don't want them changing our regulations anymore than you would want nonresident duck hunters changing your regulations. Besides that the best time to be in a treestand is also the best time to be in a duck blind. So when you have the urge to go duck hunting because you know they'll be flying; go to your deerstand instead.

1st cold front in Oct and Nov. 18. I've spent a LOT of days in the stand during late Oct and early Nov wondering where's all the movement. Don't get me wrong, I'll be on vacation the 1st week on Nov. but if I had to pick 1 day it would be the 18th

Top Bottom