Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When to plant apple trees

Central Iowa

Life Member
Any info would be helpfull. I have 20 apple trees reserved and ready to ship at a weeks notice. When is the optimal time to plant these? They will be planted in South Central Iowa.

Now is a good time. I've planted fruit trees in the first 2 weeks of April the past 2 years with nearly 100% survivability. Good luck!

Any time now and into May. Get em in before hot weather comes and while plenty of moisture still in the ground. Of coarse if ground is too wet, wait,,don't let them sit in water. I assume they are bare rooted. Potted variety can plant all summer.Heat stress is the major concern here on out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When is the optimal time to plant these? </div></div>

Dormant bare root trees can be planted just as soon as frost is out and you can dig the hole...sooner is better! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I planted a couple of container grown apple trees once that I bought on closeout in June. They did fine, but I watered them almost daily. These were not bare root trees.

The 'Bonker

Just make sure to fence them!

I planted some a few years back. It was late afternoon and I told my dad that I'd fence them the next day. Yeah, the next day they didn't have a leaf left on them. Deer had a pretty good salad bar setup there.

Top Bottom