When?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by Lucky13, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 Member

This will be my first year to try and find some sheds...other than stumbling upon the early ones now when do you guys typically head put to find some sheds? And maybe if you guys have some tips on what to look for(other than sheds) on finding some...thanks!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

Last year was my first year at seriously looking for them. I looked between beds and food and I personally found the majority of mine at fence crossings or in bedding area

4. 4 Buck

4 Buck Active Member

Any time after Valentine's day for me...

5. Ghost

Ghost Life Member

Been a long time since I posted here but.....forget about everything you know deer are doing in the Fall when you are hunting them. Focus on what deer are doing when they shed their antlers. My general rule is 10 percent late December, 20 percent January, 40 percent February and 30 percent March. Mild years will spread the deer way out and it can be tough. Very cold years with a harsh winter can really concentrate the deer when they shed. Think of survival...they need food, cover, warmth, and security. Every property is different but you can break it down if you think about what a deer needs at this time of year. South facing ridges for the sun, add heavy thermal cover, add a food source,.....and last but far from least...you have to put in the hours on your boots. I have walked 10 hours for 1 shed and went home happy. Best day I came home with 11 and rubbed them till I fell asleep. When you go all day and find the one you are looking for it is better than sex!!! Good Luck

6. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

Even though a few start dropping early, I try my hardest to stay out of my areas until Feb. 1...then I get after it usually... I hate bumping deer out of my areas I can shed hunt..I just imagine them dropping the antlers onto other properties as they are running from me kicking them out...usually helps me stay out of my prime areas

7. ShedderKG

ShedderKG Active Member

Some great information from guys on this site...

I agree with what GHOST said about knowing what deer are doing now or into the Jan, Feb months compared to what they were doing in the fall. It will be quite a bit different. At the end of the day, find the food. Know where the food is and know where they are going to bed at and check both places and the trails inbetween.

I completely understand the guys who wait to look until later in the season because they don't want to bump deer. But it all depends on what kind of areas you will be looking. Shed hunting has become so popular, that if you will be shed hunting all public...walk it once a week starting mid january. Because if you aren't, someone else will be. If it's your own private track that is holding deer and they feel safe...I would probably hold out and wait for a bit longer. I also think that if the deer know where the food is and they get bumped out of there a couple times...they aren't going anywhere, they will be back for the food. (especially when there is lots of snow)

Good luck!

8. MNbuckhunter

MNbuckhunter Member

Just checked cams on WI farm today. 2 bucks have shed out...one has a leg injury so not surprising he dropped already. Also driving around scouting tonight I saw a half rack...got the binos up and it looked like a fresh drop.

Like others have said, wait! I usually wait until mid February before I go out. I feed deer behind my house and the past few years have had numerous drop around that time.

9. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

Usually late Feb. or early March for me. Usually just go walking as I'm not an expert shed hunter. I like to cover the whole farm, or at least anywhere I know the deer will go. But would guess food, bedding, or between would be best places (really, where else would the deer be at???).

10. JUNIOR

I second this!!! I just walk! Like last year a buddy was just cutting across a little ditch to go back to his house and found that 75 inch shed i posted last year, it was in a spot you wouldnt think deer would be at (there was a weeks snow on the ground in that area and there were only 2 sets of deer tracks in the ditch when he found the shed) Ended up goin back out with him and found the other side! But im saying just walk, you never know what you will find.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  11. tlambert

tlambert PMA Member

Friend of mine in West central WI has 6 bucks on cam that have dropped. Found a couple of their sheds already.

12. cjgarrett

cjgarrett New Member

I generally take an early walk the first weekend of January to see if i can pick up any early drops. I have found fresh sheds as early as Jan 8th here in KS. Last year i found my biggest set on the 13th of January. I know where that deer is living this year so you can bet your last dollar i will be stomping around his domain in a month!

13. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

They can drop anytime between now and late April, I usually wait until earl March to start.