Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where are all the doves?

bradley

triplebeam
I took my son out twice this last weekend on sunflower plots in sw iowa did not see a single dove while siitting.Only seen a dozen or so on the power lines over a few miles.I would klike to get my son on some birds anyone know of a good place in sw iowa.I went over by riverton and did not see a single dove on the sunflower plot there.

Try seeding a spot in your yard...all the doves must be at my house eating my grass seed

Tried a buddy's sunflower sorghum plot that hasn't been hunted at all this year ... Not a dove in site . My uncle has a pasture overgrown with water hemp where we were able to decoy a few in but nothing close to shooting our limit . Anyone know if water hemp is a late season deal or what's the deal ? I'm struggling with ya .

They're a migratory bird, we've had some cooler nights; a lot of birds left 2-3 days before our opener. And just like every other year, birds get hammered thst first week. I'm also down in southwest Iowa and we shot 75 on opener and I've taken the dog out 2 other days and shot limits. Public spots are good opening weekend, and then when the next round of migrants come down. I drove around last night looking for teal and saw a couple seed corn fields that had good amounts of birds. Get away from the public stuff and look for mowed/harvested crop and you should find a few.

I just drove by a picked wheat field in MN and there were probably 30-40 doves sitting on the telephone wire, I am sure the field was full. I have not hunted them this year, I think I heard they are down, but you will see more in the next two weeks as they move south.

I was checking trail cameras last on saturday and I can count the number of doves I busted up walking the edge of a corn field at about noon

There were not alot of doves around here for the most of the summer. Thought it was pretty odd as we typically have good numbers. About 3 weeks ago they seemed to show up, drove a stretch of dirt road that probably had 500 birds setting on the power lines, fence and road in 1/4 mile stretch. 4 of us shot 51 birds over a stock pond on Monday night in a couple hours time.

I drove all over southwest iowa including by Essex & did not see hardly any a few here & there on power lines I am talking a couple dozen over 30 miles

There may not be many down there now. Another option is if anyone down there has started chopping and then put rye down sometimes that can be a dove magnet at sunrise or sundown. Or you could set up on one of the stock ponds and hope for the best.

Top Bottom