Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where do you hunt?

I hunt a hunk of public land and it's amazing how many nice bucks are in there. 90% of the other hunters don't put forth a effort to get to the back of the land. In one night I saw over 50 does and 3 bucks that were over 130. The only bad thing about hunting the public land is the other guys that just walk around kinda screw you over. That's why I hunt private property over public most of the time.

I hunted public ground before for one season and at the end I had my treestand tossed over a 200 ft cliff. what I dont understand is thatI was super deerp and on a cliff edge and why would sombody cross three steep ravens and out to my stand cut the lock take all my tree steps and straps. Its a home made one made outta 2 by 4 lumber and plywood in the design to be a portable. I thought it was bad getting it in there but when it came to getting that tree stand, forget it...

Alaskan- we had the same kinda thing happen in california when I lived there. On the base I was stationed was a portion of land that was over 10,000 acres of public hunting. I worked with the Air force game and fish dept. and kept getting reports about treestands and blinds being demolished or stolen. We ended up catching a group of 8 people walking through the area at night looking for treestands or anything related to hunting. Come to find out that they were anti-hunters and despised any one who killed innocent animals. This story has a happy ending though.... they got charged with tresspassing on federal land, criminal mischief and best of all theft. These were all federal charges. It was great to see the look on their faces when they were read their rights.
wink.gif

mostly public ground for this guy alhough i have a few private chunks that are pretty sweet.

While I hunt mostly private ground, I do bow hunt several small tracts of public land here in S.W. Iowa. There are a lot of does on these tracts of land and during the rut there are some really nice bucks chasing the does. Also during the early season there is very little hunting pressure during the week, more pressure on the weekends. However when the shotgun season rolls around the deer are moved out of them very quickly by large hunting groups.

Being that i am from Minnesota and full time college student i don't really have any contacts with land around here i am often forced to hunt public land. As stated before if you get back far enough in from roads and other hunters the hunting can be very good. I have seen some monsters and ended up shooting a 160 class in the fall of 2001. Deer don't know what land they are on public or private (as long as you keep tabs on other hunters which is a lot of work on public) you will be ok. But all it takes is one person to screw everything up.

I was on a natural buck travel route when bucks would be strolling high noon to get on the shelfs of the cliff to beed. It was a 163 buck I was after and I had some stands hung all on public land. This was a spot where man wouldnt travel for safety reasons but I had this monsters pattern down until I harvested a lesser Buck but a good one... My brother even said why so deep, but i guess I wasnt the only one back there. There was no sign of human there as long as I can remember. When I come back to my home state you bet your butt I'll have a stand there and I hope the heck that guy doesnt fool with my property again cause he'll be on film. Along with the deep river bottem monster!!!

Hunted public ground last year for the first time in a quite a few years. Well, let's just say I was a little short on equipment one morning when I tried to find my treestand. I'm sticking with private land as much as possible. Less thieves to worry about.

I don't hunt public ground but I was under the understanding that you had to remove your stand after every hunt. Is this true in Iowa?

Nonres,
You are suppose to, however it is rarely done. Some individuals feel if stands are left it gives them the right to steal them which tells a lot about their character. A perfect reason to get a lone wolf alpha hang-on and some sticks!
grin.gif

i was under the impression that you could leave stands in from 10 days before season to 10 days after season closes. taking them down and putting them up EVERY time seems a bit much. this is a law that i'm going to need to look up before season i think!!
wink.gif

muddy,
I must have been thinking about duck hunting... sorry an old waterfowler never dies... Here is what is written under treestands... It is the screw in steps that can't be used...

------------------------------------------------------------

You may not construct a permanent tree
stand on state public hunting areas, or drive or in
any other way place any nail, spike, pin or any
other metal object into a tree on a state public
hunting area to construct a blind or to provide
hunting access to a location above the ground.

tie on tree straps = approx. $30

lone wolf stix = approx what? $100 or more??

i'd have a hard time squeakin' that one past my better half!!

Muddy,
Where are you getting strap-on's for $30 ?

Ezy Climb Strap-on's 4 steps = $30
for 12 steps that's $90 bucks.

Buy the stix and help support our site at the same time PRICELESS.
grin.gif

Top Bottom