Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where do you hunt?

nonres, the strap on steps muddy is talking about is the ones you buy at walmart for 4.87 a piece, if you find them on clearance somewhere between $3-3.50. with 90 bucks you could get 18 steps @ 4.87, which could easily get you 2 stands set up @ 20 feet high, its all just personal preference, i hunt with sticks, screw ins, and strap on steps, sticks are the nicest for climbing the tree but if im on public and walking 30-45 minutes, 10-15 strap on steps work alot better for me, the crazy trees i will be hunting in river bottoms have tons of turns and twists in them and when i have to bend those sticks in crazy ways, it makes me kind of scared to climb those trees lol
smile.gif

I hunt public ground arround Saylorville.I usually only do these hunts on the days I can't make the 1hr drive to my private timbers.While I have harvested and seen some nice deer over the years I have become more and more frustrated with outside factors.This year I had what I am sure were Meth cookers chase a nice buck away from me.I had 4 wheelers scare deer on 3 occassions.Had 2 squirrel hunters shoot shot in my tree.Had a fall turkey hunter point a shotgun at me.Had crow hunters come and set up within 100 yards on 3 mornings(in 3 different areas each time letting off at least 30-50 rounds.Had a guy training a dog come within 20 yards,blowing a whistle continuosly every 10 feet.Had a guy come in 30 minutes before the end of shooting light and set up a tree stand 50 yards from me and start to hunt.I think that I definitely prefer private ground.
OA

On state ground you can leave your stands up through the season if you are a gambler.

Federal ground, you have to pull them evertime you hunt.

Thanks for clarifying RiverBttmBoy. I had hunted public ground in Nebraska and didn't think leaving my treestand up overnight was a crime. I will have to check into that a little more on our side of the river. I don't think screw-in steps were prohibited in our area. The park ranger never said anything to me about that.

Maybe I should invest in a good climbing stand for the public ground hunts.

muddy.... i hunt public ground. all the deer i have shot were on public ground... we just bought a house that next to public ground..so thats where hunt

I hunt at Camp Dodge in Johnston and i also hunt in colfax/mingo area. I also have a place in michigan i hunt deer up there at.

My family has two farms between Waukon and Decorah in NE Iowa.

Public lands and also family property.One of my uncles has property right next to a wildlife refuge.Also north and south of town.

Top Bottom