Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where's the clover?

loneranger

I tilled and planted a clover plot 10 days ago. Laid down seed heavy. Raked it in. Watered it good. Hardly a sign of any coming up? Is it just to darn cold? Did I plant it too deep? Gonna rake in more seed I guess. Always frost seeded clover before. First time tilling ground and planting. thanks

Ur fine. Clover is a tiny plant & is slow to show. Give it 30 more days & u will see some nice growth.

not so sure. I know they are tiny. think the cold ground may have something to do with it.I have a frost seeded area that has little plants sitting there that have not changed for 2 wks. Need warmth I guess. But can you plant clover too deep? I wonder maybe the tiny stuff has a hard time pushing up thru too much soil. I have kept it watered with a hose. The sky has not helped me much. thanks Skip

not so sure. I know they are tiny. think the cold ground may have something to do with it.I have a frost seeded area that has little plants sitting there that have not changed for 2 wks. Need warmth I guess. But can you plant clover too deep? I wonder maybe the tiny stuff has a hard time pushing up thru too much soil. I have kept it watered with a hose. The sky has not helped me much. thanks Skip

Just be patient it will come up just fine. Your never going to see it for 10 days 30 is more like it just like skip said.

Thanks,,I do expect warmer temps would help. Seems my frost seeded showed sooner...Coarse it is on top of the ground. Guess I am used to seein turnips radish and oats rye come up end of Summer. shows up in a week that time of the year.

LR this time you can’t blame it on the drought :D
The state climatologist said there is zero drought in Iowa now.
I’m not a habit guy but a few days of sun and time and things will change like others have said

Sorry Ishi, It is dry down here . No matter what the State climo guy says. Just ask Daver. Just dig around on my property. I have received less than an inch for the month of April so far. A friend has received less than a half inch for April. Winter saw decent moisture here but no surplus. Now that trees are awake moisture is dropping fast. My clover plot needed my hose. Thankfully it is close enough to my house. Not big. Only 40 yrds by 20 yrds. Before I watered it there was 5 inches of dust on the surface. WET WET,Flood, Floods is all the media says. Not down here.

LR this time you can’t blame it on the drought :D
The state climatologist said there is zero drought in Iowa now.
I’m not a habit guy but a few days of sun and time and things will change like others have said
I haven't had rain since there was snow on the ground. Missed every shower. sprinkled yesterday enough to cut the dust for an hour. 3/4" cracks in yard already. And its April. Kinda crazy.

“Cool soils”.... or cold, whatever.... clover is a cool season legume. It’s there & cool soils are fine. Might keep growth slow. It’s fine. It’ll be there!!!!!

Thanks Sligh I will keep looking for the little critters. glad there is some one out there to back me up. IowaBowhunter. It is dry.! Many areas south of 80 are dry. Nat weather Service says maybe wet next week? Coarse they have been saying that. The models have all of April.

Top Bottom