Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whitetail food sources

This is such a great topic I thought I'd bring it back to the front and see if anyone has any new additions.

Old Buck

Old Buck, I would like to reinforce the Honey Locust. Last November my favorite rut stand was situated in a funnel with two Honey Locusts Within 20 yards. These trees Attracted alot of midday activity. Sometimes they would bed and continue to eat. They cleaned this place up over a couple weeks. Yet I have noticed some larger stands still have plenty on the ground. Smaller sources seem to be the key to sucessfull setups. These Deer where eating the pods whole as fast as they could. Does anybody know when they drop?

I'll throw this one in...a good crabapple tree. We have a couple of these on the farm I hunt and they are a magnet when they are producing. Trouble is...they are very inconsistent in their production from year to year and it also seems that deer only prefer them for the first few days they're on the ground. I'll never forget the first year I bowhunted (over 20 years ago) I sat in a stand next to a bountiful crabapple tree and passed on a beautiful 8 pointer who munched away at less than 10 yards. With 20+ years of hindsight, I should've shot him. Oh well...
bawling.gif

NWBuck

I observed a few deer on my place eating pods in the early fall. Decimated my corn food plots in Jan and Feb.
Trper
busted.gif

depending on the size of the trees, persimons will produce fuit in 2-5 yrs..I have planted some trees 4-6 feet tall that had a few persimmons on them the first year, but they where bitter and there weren't many.

They hammer the heck out of the new growth on wild pincherries up here, they don't touch the fruits, they're SOUR but when the trees are small they get destroyed so do lower limbs on the big ones. Ones on the perimeter of my yard haven't grown in 3 yrs, get a natural pruning from the deer. They also eat the wild saskatoon's that grow, new growth and fruit in the summer. Crab apples are dynamite too, they don't grow wild but the come right into the yard where people have them growing and eat them, that's why I've planted 5 of them in the last 2 yrs!!!

Top Bottom