Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why don't you support conservation and sportsman groups?

River1

We have more Bone Collectors than conservation protectors in our ranks.

Why do you think this is?

Pretty sad trend if you ask me!

Not sure, but I agree. Every hunter should support pheasants forever, as the money stays in county, and goes to improve habitat that isn't just used by pheasants, but all wildlife.

We have more Bone Collectors than conservation protectors in our ranks.

Why do you think this is?

Pretty sad trend if you ask me!

Which conservation organizations are you referring to local or national?

Any of them.

We are becoming a society of takers. Conservation and outdoor sports need more help than ever, but most would rather be a Bone Collector. Am I wrong?:)

Pick a group or two that fit you and your outdoor passion the most, join and give back.

Member: IBA, DU, NRA, WU, Delta.

Need to get my PF membership renewed,

Will not join NWTF again. Probably much like WU, they raise alot of money at banquets and very little of the money stays local. When I lived in Michigan we raised alot of money through our local chapter and hardly any of the money was kept by the local chapter, so we started our own organization MMUSA (mid michigan united sportsmens alliance). We did some research and found that Rob Keck who was the president of the Non Profit NWTF was making 350k a year :confused: That's a little rediculous IMO.

Plain and simple River, I think many of the young hunters just think it's cool to be involved with Bone Collector, etc. Nothing wrong with that, just need to make them realize how important it is to be involved with the organizations that are more about habitat and protecting our hunting rights. I'm only 32, but when I was 20, I don't think I belonged to any of these. It is OUR responsibilty to recruit :way:

Any of them.

We are becoming a society of takers. Conservation and outdoor sports need more help than ever, but most would rather be a Bone Collector. Am I wrong?:)

Pick a group or two that fit you and your outdoor passion the most, join and give back.

I do, contribute hundreds a year

Member: IBA, DU, NRA, WU, Delta.

Need to get my PF membership renewed,

Will not join NWTF again. Probably much like WU, they raise alot of money at banquets and very little of the money stays local. When I lived in Michigan we raised alot of money through our local chapter and hardly any of the money was kept by the local chapter, so we started our own organization MMUSA (mid michigan united sportsmens alliance). We did some research and found that Rob Keck who was the president of the Non Profit NWTF was making 350k a year :confused: That's a little rediculous IMO.

Plain and simple River, I think many of the young hunters just think it's cool to be involved with Bone Collector, etc. Nothing wrong with that, just need to make them realize how important it is to be involved with the organizations that are more about habitat and protecting our hunting rights. I'm only 32, but when I was 20, I don't think I belonged to any of these. It is OUR responsibilty to recruit :way:

Good point, we get older, we get more involved. However, there's a serious shortage in that 30 - 40 y/o age group as well. I see it in the groups I'm involved with and hear about regularly from people involved in other groups. Especially when it comes to active members. I agree 100% about it being our responsibility.

There used to be a fairly large group of us 30-40 year olds from Central Iowa that would go to many of the WU and PF banquets around the state. We would drop a pretty substantial ammount of money at every banquet, between buying the tables, donations, raffel tickets ect... The number one reason why we all stopped participating was we got fed up with the same people somehow always winning the guns and other raffle prizes. I witnessed first hand, an item in one of the silent auction go to the wife of a guy who was running the event. I stood right by the item until the auction closed and that was not the name of the final bid. Too much shady business going on at those events for my liking. Sorry if that puts me in the "taker" category, but that is how alot of us now feel. I think the Rob Keck ordeal shed a lot of light on what really goes on within these organizations.

It's like everything else in this world. Too many people just thinks its their "right" and have never had to go without or fight for those rights.

At the annual IBA meeting last weekend of the approx 30 people in the room there were 2 maybe 3 people that i thought would be under the age of 40. This same discussion was brought up at the meeting for a while. A few members brought up that this same meeting used to have 100 to 200 people at it.

Agree or disagree with the politics or people of any of these local/state organizations but the facts are we wouldn't have what we have to today without them.

The sad truth is until we start to loose those "rights" and things start getting taken away the majority of people will be perfectly happy just buying a tag and hitting the woods. Hopefully it won't be to late.

A little off topic but along the same lines another thing that really gets under my skin is all the people in this state that have been raping this states resources to make a buck that have absolutely no involvement in any organizations. Just go to the Deer Classic and every other booth is groups selling videos, hunts, or whatever but very few in fact almost non are involved. Kudos to those that are.

River1
Great post by the way.

I think support is much better spent on land conservation projects as opposed to these associations. Resource conservation is what means the most in Iowa right now. Really it's irrelevant whether that conservation land is hunted or not. If the habitat is saved in general the resource will sustain around it. Little 160 acre conservation plots are a golden ticket that many people do not realize.

I hunt around these in Indiana and they are resource saving projects. Your right that it isn't public hunting, but its saving habitat that will never be lost to farming and urban sprawl.

hoosierhunter I tend to agree with you as far as land conservation. In fact we have 160 acres that we have spent the last 10 years
improving habitat for all wildlife. We have converted 30 acres of crop land into swich grass and various prairie grass. There has been a big improvment in our Pheasant and quail numbers although we have not hunted these birds for many years. Some will say it is selfish of us to put in food plots and then hunt deer on our property. But I will say with or without the food plots harvesting deer on our place is not a problem. The food plots are there for all the wildlife and they use them year round.

Being retired and "on a fixed income" we have to watch where we put the money we have for such things as wildlife support. I personally feel I can do more by maintaining habitat than joining a few more organizations. I have come to enjoy the work we do maintaining the place for wildlife more than actually hunting it.

This 160 acres will always be available to my entire family for years to come.
I have also shared the place with others looking for a place to hunt. Every year we invite dads and moms to bring a kid looking for a place to hunt the youth season down to try their luck. PM me if you fall into this group.

As I have gotten older I feel it more enjoyable to give back to the sport I have enjoyed for the past 50 years and getting young people started in hunting and teaching them the right way of doing things is as rewarding as shooting a big buck or a limit of quail. Right now I think the number one thing we can do as sportsmen is to pass it on to our young. If every hunter on this website would make it their duty to get three young people into the outdoor sports that would help our cause more than any other thing we can do.

Sorry for the long rant

Good points about habit projects and passing it on. Can't argue that one bit. Murph, I'm glad there are guys like you around. Do need to say though, most of us don't have the resources to directly make large habitat improvements.
Picking a quality sportsmans group and supporting them is the most realistic way the majority of us can make a differnce. Groups like the Ikes and IBA are not only big supporters of passing it on, but fight politically for our rights and natural resources.

Last edited:
Member: IBA, NRA.

I've been to one WU banquet maybe 20 years ago. I've been to two PF banquets within the last 5 or so years. Not a member of either.

Owning property, I'd rather selfishly spend the money on my own ground.

Member: IBA, NRA.

I've been to one WU banquet maybe 20 years ago. I've been to two PF banquets within the last 5 or so years. Not a member of either.

Owning property, I'd rather selfishly spend the money on my own ground.

Nothing wrong with that. We need more of this in Iowa. Our country side is becoming a barren wasteland in a large portion of the State. I don't see anyone taking the bull dozers away from the farmers anytime soon! All the more reason for guys who don't own property to support conservation groups to!
:drink1:

Last edited:
I have at one time or another been a member of DU, PF, and NRA. I am currently a member of the IBA and have been for several years. I would be more likely to join other organizations if I knew more about what they do with the money. I want money I spend to help wildlife right here.

As a relatively now landowner I agree with the guys who say they would rather spend their money improving habitat on their own place. I just ordered 400 trees and shrubs last week to plant and am looking to order another 100. I'm converting crop ground to CRP and looking at TSI projects. I will have more of an impact on wildlife by spending my dollars at home than any number of organization memberships would.

As a landowner, you can get more than your money back on a PF membership. Free food plot seed, and cost share on most other habitat projects. Plus your voice joins thousands of others in lobbying efforts that benefit all. CRP wouldn't be here anymore without PF. IBA and NRA deserve your support not for what you get back personally, but for their protection efforts on everything we hold dear. If you think, "I've got mine, so the heck with being involved," you may find yourself wondering where it all went.

As a landowner, you can get more than your money back on a PF membership. Free food plot seed, and cost share on most other habitat projects. Plus your voice joins thousands of others in lobbying efforts that benefit all. CRP wouldn't be here anymore without PF. IBA and NRA deserve your support not for what you get back personally, but for their protection efforts on everything we hold dear. If you think, "I've got mine, so the heck with being involved," you may find yourself wondering where it all went.
I contacted the local PF director when I first bought my farm. He let it be known that if he couldn't hunt it, I wouldn't get any help. I told him no thanks. Maybe leadership has changed since then, but it left a long lasting bitter taste in my mouth. ;)

That's not PF policy! That guy should have been outta there! There will always be guys that try to take advantage of their position. It's up to the members to keep them in line. Wish you would have gone over his head.

Top Bottom