Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why not "party hunting"

bowmaker

I have read several comments lately about the "evil party hunt". I don't think that party hunting is a horrible thing. My family group, until the last couple of years, would have been considered party hunters. Our goal was to see that each hunter had a deer to tag. All of these deer were consumed and I can't remember giving any away. Fifteen years ago we had four or five young people with us who had purchased licenses and wanted a chance to get a deer. We tried to work them into the drives as both walkers and blockers.
Some times they got shots and some times they didn't but they were a part of the group and learned to hunt. There are always some people in a group who are in the wrong place, looking the wrong way, or who just couldn't hit a deer. Is it so wrong for these people to have venison to eat through the year. I can remember several times when the two deer for my son and myself made up a big part of our diet.

Another point is the harvest numbers. If the hunting seasons are to be partially population control, what can be wrong with filling legal tags. The vast majority of these deer were does and yearlings, and while it is true that some of these yearling bucks could become huge in 5 years, not if there are too many deer. My own experience has shown that very few big bucks are killed as a result of drive hunting. Most of them are smart enough to lay low or move arround the drivers. The only ones I have taken during drives have came in on blockers from the backside and were more of an accident. That doesn't make me any less proud of them. What happens to our herd numbers and buck/doe ratio if we don't harvest these deer? I see lots of possible problems.

There can be unethical excesses to any type of hunting, but I don't see this as any worse than hunter getting two bow tags, two shotgun tags, a late muzzelloader tag, and a special antlerless tag along with extra bonous doe tags. No one can eat that many deer and so must give some meat away. I don't think it is right for a shotgun hunter to carry tags for himself and his wife and his kids, and fill them under the party hunting rules. It is also against the law to do that. You can't shoot a deer for your wife while she is at the mall. She must be present to tag and transport that deer, and if she is present she is part of the hunt and entitled to the deer. There will always be some people who will bend or plain out break the laws, whether they are party hunting or going solo, but don't lump all party hunters as evil.

I don't mean to start an argument about this but I am very interested in other's views.

Bowmaker, you make some good points. I agree that party hunting is not a very effective way to kill big ole mature bucks. Keeping the deer herd in balance is needed. Recruiting and keeping hunters in the woods is important as well. I have no problems with small party groups who hunt and behave in an ethical, and respectful manner.

That being said, I am not supportive of party hunting for the following reasons. Party hunting tends to become a big social affair and as the number of participants increases, the likelyhood of unethical, illegal behavior seems to increase as well. Trespassing seems to be a much larger problem during shotgun seasons when most hunters are doing push drives in large groups. Game hogs hide behind the party tag system, killing more than their fair share of game, especially antlered bucks. Persons who only possess an antlerless-only tag can shoot bucks under the party tag system. I know of situations where people with unfilled tags left them with friends/outfitters and said to fill them if they wanted to. Most of us would be outraged if an outfitter filled an deer tag for a client who had gone home. Is it really that different from what takes place during shotgun season with party tags?

You make a good point about the need to keep the deer herd in balance and to supply deer meat to all who can use some. Deer meat can be shared among people, regardless of who pulled the trigger or who had a license. This can be easily done by the more skilled hunters legally taking additional deer using special antlerless tags.

I think the party tag rule just causes too many problems and is abused by too many people out there.

John V

I thought that you would likley reply. I think I saw where you had moved into Iowa from North or South Carolina. You might not know that even with our party hunting rules a person can not leave a tag with anyone to be filled legally. The tag holder must be present to tag the deer within 15 min. or before it is moved, and must accompany the deer if it is transported. It would be just as ilegal for some one to fill a left over tag with or with out party hunting. I'm not saying that this doesn't happen just that is already illegal. The big problem is enforcement of the existing laws. Thanks for expressing your feelings.

Bowmaker,

You make some very valid points. Although I prefer bow & ML, party hunting with my Dad is also fun and over the last 30 years where dozens of young men were taught about safety, tactics, etc. I think each type of hunting has its scoundrels, by and large, most sportsman are honest, hard-working guys that love being in the woods.

By the way, the vast majority of trophies we have taken were taken by the "seasoned" veterans who were driving the deer. A few exceptions were absolutely dumb luck.

I don't know?

It seems to me like it has worked out ok for the last 30 years I have witnessed deer hunting in Iowa (even before it was made legal) and we still have great hunting. As I recall a lot of the party hunting was the farm operating landowners and family/friends that participated.

We have all been able to enjoy ourselves doing our own thing in the woods.

Poor quality hunters are poor quality hunters regardless of the methods. The larger number of hunters and higher visibility during the shotgun seasons are going to statistically show more of the bad as well as the good.

It then comes down to our own opinions of what hunting really should be like.

The great thing about us bowhunter/muzzleloader hunters is that no one can see what we are up to most of the time.

I would rather have good quality party hunters in December than a rifle season in November. But that is just my opinion.
smile.gif

I no longer party hunt, but like BW indicated it is often a lot easier for a single MZ or bowhunter to get away with something like trespassing or shooting too many deer,etc. Hunter ethics have little to do with the style of hunting and mostly with the individual. I think party/shotgun hunting remains the most viable option for controlling the overall herd numbers. Maybe the "dumb" bucks should be taken this way. We've all seen those big old boys lay up until you practically step on them.

Im not a big fan of party hunting for a few reasons, not saying noone should do it, just that i dont like it.First is the size of the parties I see running around.You take 20 or 30 guys and start driving deer theres gonna be a safety issue, not to mention its not real sporting to surround a deer and make it run past that many guys with guns, on younger deer its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Second while it might be easier to get away with poaching, or tresspassing while you are by yourself there seems to be a group mentality.The bigger the party the braver certain members of it seem to be, they wont hesitate to go through someone elses private ground or use the wrong tag on a deer in front of all their buddies while they may not have the nerve to do it alone.Throw in some landowner tags and your gonna get illegaly tagged deer more often than anyone probably wants to admit to.

Third i cant see where it helps to make anyone a better hunter.Again Im refering to the larger groups where the same guy/ guys with the most experience take the majority of the deer while the younger and less experienced hunters are just along to walk through the brush.If everyone had to tag there own deer such things as scouting, tracking, natarual deer movement, etc... would be stressed a lot more to the less experienced hunters.

But in smaller groups it dont really bother me and with the short season escpecially the first shotgun season it has definate advantages, the guys that can only hunt the one weekend can tag out leaving the guys with the whole week to hunt enough tags to keep going.And on years like this when the weathers hot and no snow it might be the only chance smaller parties haver of filling tags is by keeping all their guys in the field pushing the deer cause they aint gonna move much on their own before dark.

Im gonna stick with muzzleloader and bow personaly but thats my choice,if you guys like party hunting and dont mind having someone else shoot you deer on occassion go ahead, and be safe
smile.gif

Bowmaker.

While I chose to no longer participate in party hunting during slug season, I have no issues with anyone who does it safely and legally. I also think that party hunting is necessary to effectively thin the deer herds, and someday I may try it again.

I quit party hunting because something happens to certain people when they get together in a group and the hunt turns into a contest, and the safety and laws sometimes are forgotten. Some people stop unloading their guns when they get into their vehicles, they get excited when they see a buck and shoot without knowing what is behind it, they herd deer with pickups & radios to keep them in the sections where they have permission to hunt, they tresspass, they do not follow up on their shots to make sure they missed, they re-use tags, they take 200 yard running shots etc. I have seen all of these over the years from people who I know. When I have confronted them about it at night when we are skinning the day's harvest the answer is usually the same. "yeah I know, but I just got so excited!". Call me naive but I believe most these guys are usually safe ethical hunters.

Of course there are also those who only pick up a gun 2 days a year to go out during slug season or choose to drink a bit while hunting, and while I have never hunted with them I am sure they can get even more scary.

Lastly, I disagree with you about big bucks not being taken by party hunters. From what I have seen, party hunters do very well on big bucks, and I see nothing wrong with that either.

Just my opinion
IaCraig

Top Bottom