Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why???

bowman

Super Moderator
Just curious as to why most archery tournaments are held on Sundays with registration cut off so early. I am sure that I am not the only "Chruch Goer" archer that is frustrated with this. I find it impossible to go to church, eat, and make it to tournaments before the 1:30 cut off. I would shoot more often if there were more Saturday shoots. I am not in anyway saying that people with my priorities should get special treatment but it seems that the new systems make it harder for us. Could someone with some insight help answer this question? I would guess that the reason is for the ease of Saturday setups and Sunday clean ups. Saturday shoots would enable me to include my whole family. Thanks Guys!

Bowman

to anwser your question bowman, just speaking on behalf of my club, we do have 2 two day tournaments this year, July, and Sept. Next year we will probley go to four. The main reason is manpower, finding people to setup on fridays is just about impossible. Second is theft. Leaving the targets out for two nights compared to one. Also trying to find someone to spend the night to watch everything is hard also. Third, manpower to run the shoot for an entire weekend. I know with ours, I'm there from 1pm to 9pm on Saturday setting up and getting things organized. Then turn around Sunday being there at 6:30am to setup the warmup area, food, registration, etc. Then getting everything pull from the course, cleaning the club house, getting everything sorted out, then heading home around 5:00pm. We are all non-compensated volunteers. It makes the water at home a little troubled. It takes an ubelievable amount of time and dedication to pull it all off. Hope this kind of sums it up. If you know of any type of solutions or ways of doing it, please let me know. I hope I explained good, I dont mean to sound snotty, but we put a lot of time into these shoots, and the club in general.
Thanks.

Bowman-Go shoot Stuart every other weekend.They are all 2 day tournaments.As far as I know this is the only course in this area that is strictly 2 day tourneys........And it is an Awesome course.

Wayne, come shoot ours (PCSA) like you have in the past. This year it has been totally revamped. Alot of "hills" have been eliminated to make it easier on the archer and the guys tearing down, all new backstops, the works. Always a 2 day shoot and I would guarantee we never have turned down anyone who wanted to shoot at that time on a given Sunday. The first Shoot is the Rendevous weekend.....I am struggeling with not being here to help with it but, I think the Vous and the boat bed have my name on it up there with Hogie and all the great folks at Chase.

The IBA shoot-out this year is a two day tournament for all three legs. Like Rudd said, we would never turn down anyone that showed up at any time. This is our first year as a club, and we have 5 shoots, with 2 two day tourments, next year we will probley go to seven with 4 two day tournaments. It just takes a lot of volunteers to get these things going.
Thanks,

We used to always take registration until 2 or 3 on Sunday afternoon. The problem was, you would get less than 10 people register after noon. Then when 3:00-4:00 came around, 99% of the competitors were off the course and wanting to do a trophy ceremony. We had to wait until everyone was in and people left frustrated. Now we only register until 12:30 and have a trophy awarding ceremony at 3:00. 99.9% of our shooters love it and the club members doing the work really appreciated it because they can get home at a decent time. It is virtually impossible to please everyone all the time but we try as hard as we can. As stated before, most 3D shoots are run on a 100% volunteer basis and two day shoots and long hours cause people to not return to help out again.

Gentlemen, thank you all for your answers. All of these things make sense. I'm gonna try to make all the Saturday shoots that I can. Thanks again for your courteous responses.

Bowman

bowman, don't forget the "you call it, nothing under 50 yards, shoot till it's dark and then keep shooting, novelty shoot" that we started last year!!!

this year, you're going down!!
30571-green1.gif

That was a blast. I'm gonna miss it this year. I won't be able to make it as my wife's 10 year High school reunion is that weekend.
frown.gif

This weekend there is a 2 day shoot at the Wapello Chiefs at Ottumwa Iowa. There will be signs off hwy 63 south of town and it is a great course with 4 seperate legs of 12 targets each. Be prepared for some walking and climbing.

Supertec, that is really a pain in the butt having to take down with thiefs an all.. I'm still a member at a conservation club in NY and I was always head guy with the archery shoots. There always alot of excuses why someone can't help and you can never get enough help... We never had a problem with theft or damages... So the last couple summers we have been either just putting hefty bags over them if small enough of just getting plastic to cover them... We have also used ground anchors with a chain and lock and that will keep the innocent away from stealing... Its really a choir to setup with 3 other guys on 90 targets all in a few hours on a Friday night sat morning... Bowman you could always help out setting up shoots and then you'll be aload to run through after the 1:30 close down..

Top Bottom