Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter trail cams

Ried#3

I have pulled all my trail cams to get ready for the shot gunners. I'm starting to think about setting out my cams to see what is left. What is good to set out for some attatractents? I'm thinking about some small alfalfa bails and corn. How long should I expect one small square to last?

I did this last year. After a couple weeks I quit with the corn since they would clean up several bushels a day. I could get about a week out of 6 square bales. As soon as the snow disappeared the deer quit eating the hay. I found several sheds doing this and plan to do it again this year if we have snow cover. Just be prepared to feed a lot of non target deer.
full

Last edited:
I did this last year. After a couple weeks I quit with the corn since they would clean up several bushels a day. I could get about a week out of 6 square bales. As soon as the snow disappeared the deer quit eating the hay. I found several sheds doing this and plan to do it again this year if we have snow cover. Just be prepared to feed a lot of non target deer.
full
Dang that's more hay than I was thinking! Is that 6 LARGE squares or the smaller ones you get st theisens? If i could just get a pic of one particular buck after gun season I would be happy.

small squares. I make my own. It'd could get spendy to buy them. I fed about 30 bales and twenty some bushels of corn last year. I think I did it for 5 or 6 weeks.

I usually put out a few squares (50 lb) as well. They hit alfalfa bales a lot better than grass bales. Snow cover will definitely increase the usage of the bales. I usually leave one twine on the bale to keep it together a little, but they end up scattering them before they're done.

Hay is really cheap right now. Lowest in many years. Small squares get you into the horse crowd so you will always pay more. For best results use mostly alfalfa, limit the grass. I fed a large square and 2 round bales last year, all third crop so it was fine stemmed and they devoured it. Had deer, some injured shed bucks basically living at the bale sight. There isn't much better for pics, had up to 15 deer at a time in some pics. I have a skidloader but actually just chained the big square to a tree and drove away. It's just a farm I have permission on. I've been seeing 3rd rounds here for 45$ a bale alot is 100$ a ton or less.

Good info. Never thought of using bales but I am gonna try it this year.

We usually do corn and last year we fed about 1200lbs which right now is pretty cheap if you get it from a co-op as it is well under $3 a bushel. I think the bales will be easier and need to be replaced less often so definitely going to try it.

We bought round bales of second cutting alfalfa in MN for $70. Not sure if that was a good deal or not, but it was close to our farm, so what the the heck...Cameras nearby, and hopefully a few antlers.

Top Bottom