Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Trophy Rape Seed

Fastfreddy16

Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed because last Monday I get in about 2 acres of this rape seed. Had 2" of rain come down Tuesday night and another 3/4" last night. Has anyone had any luck with this kind of rape seed? I've always used Dwarf Essex Rape with very little success....

FF

I've just never had deer really eat rape that hard. Nothing compared to how they hammer radishes and turnips.
Agree. I never plant monocultures of anything (except corn & beans and obvious stuff but still plant other stuff next to that). I planted some brassicas with rape in it but also has other brassicas. If u have good top soil & u r not in intense drought- usually does ok in dry weather when catch rain- they often rebound. Some are in bad situation though or rough soil that can’t handle as much & could be toast. Good quality soil with high organic matter goes a long ways. Not always an option though.

Last edited:
I think its also dependent on what food is available. Although I wouldnt have planted 2 acres of rape I would bet if there isnt a ton of competing food nearby they will eat it. I put some in my brassica mix this just for the fun of it but at a very low rate for a little diversity. Im sure most rape seed is like radishes...different names but same seed.

Id go with something with more variety next time. I did my big fall plot half RWWP plot topper and half BioLogic winterbulbs & sugar beets mixed with Maximum. IMHO diversity is king.

Top Bottom