Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter wheat or winter rye

I have a field entrance to my foodplot that had a very large pile of topsoil blocking the entrance. Well yesterday I spread the pile and graded it smooth.

What is the difference between winter wheat and winter rye? Is one better to plant then the other? I just need something for erosion control.

I have Welters big buck mix (1st year trying it) for my foodplot.

If your planting something else for erosion add the winter rye for a cover crop. Doesn't tiller like winter wheat. Also winter rye's root system holds moisture into next year.

and it's easier to "plant". You can just broadcast rye on top of the ground and it will do pretty well. Winter wheat would rather be covered a bit...

Just broadcasted it and raked it in with a spring rake....winter rye. We are supposed to get some moisture this weekend. Will it grow this year with it being so late? The soil is nice loose black top soil from my timber.

I’ll bet it will grow some. How much depends on temps the next few weeks. I planted some a couple weeks ago that is up 4”- 6” already.

Suppose to germinate down to 30 degree soil. Black dirt should be easy. I broadcasted some this week.

I had a mediocre soybean plot and broadcast some winter rye a month ago. The Rye is now 8-10 inches tall. Every night for the past 2 weeks There have been deer in it in day light. Also the first thing to green up in the spring.

When do you plant the winter rye?
Ian usually plant winter rye down here from the month of Sept. to Nov. 1. I believe Paul use to say its highest protein level is highest up to 12" then deer quit on it. But if you let it grow the does will use it for hiding their fawns. Excellent cover crop and can be sprayed in the spring to no-till a crop or just sprayed and drill a new crop into it. Adds alot of organic matter back to the soil. I know it has improved my dirt a lot.

Reactions: Ian
Top Bottom