Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Wheat

deadeye

Finally the day is here. We are getting our food plot replanted for season. We had planted before turkey season, but due to the flooding of the river bottoms everything died out. This afternoon my dad and uncle are working on planting the winter wheat. I have not been home to the timber lately to check on the acorn crop. Hopefully it is better than the years past. Maybe these little plots of winter wheat will help for late season when food is so scarce is our area. Can't wait for it to start growing.

Along with the new stand this year to try out I am pumped.

2 weeks since planting and already 6-8 inches of growth. I was really impressed. The ground was pretty wet yet where it was planted so I think that had a lot to do with it. We only had one day where it rained since it was planted and it didn't rain much. Hopefully this will help us out this year as our acorn crop is pretty slim yet again. Haven't seen a good acorn crop in in about 6 years.

i wonder if the crappy acorn crops are due to the amount of flooding in your area? those trees get hammered a couple times each year pretty hard.

when we first got permission to hunt it the acorn crop was on a pretty good 2 year pattern of having acorns and not. In the last 6 years or so we have missed that every other year supply of acorns. Maybe it is due to flooding or lack of rain. Maybe next year...

Top Bottom