Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

wonder buck

doublerack

This is a buck I first saw in 2007 and then got trail cam pics of in 2008. Last year, he looked exactly the same just a little bigger. It wouldn't' surprise me if he was a 4 or 5 yr old. When he showed up on camera, I was actually disappointed. I hoped he would have left the area or got hit by a car.
He is a very aggressive buck. Don't know why, he doesn't have much to work with. He is a 2x3. I watched him run a couple younger really nice bucks and one more mature buck out of the area early this season. No matter how bad I wanted to put an arrow through him, I couldn't do it. Well... my wishes may have come true. 3 weeks ago, he came limping past my stand. Severely. His front left leg was all but just dangling. He either 1, got hit by a car, or 2 finally messed with the wrong buck. On Christmas eve, my 1st wish came true in that he shed out early. Normally I wouldn't hope for this, but I really want him to walk past my stand now so I can put an antlerless tag on him.

biggestposever2.JPG

biggestposevery.JPG

Re: biggest POS ever!

Money says he makes it to next year and turns into a 3 pointer. One side a big fork and the other a giant spike.

Just to be a jerk I'm rooting for the deer in this one. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I guess I would have a different take on a deer like that. Seems to me that he is a champion deer, not a POS. Heck, he is UFC quality with his smaller size, but bigger attitude. I like some of the odd things that nature throws our way. That buck is a trophy that just won't score high.

but would you really want this deer spreading his genetics and pushing around other quality deer you would prefer to stay in the area?

Not necessarily, and I agree with you on that part. I was really responding to the POS label (and I'm really not trying to be a jerk). I have the greatest respect for these creatures, and I am able to see some pretty neat stuff out there. My point was that because this smaller buck was dominating the bigger ones, it's easy to give him a junk label. Heck, kill him, or have someone else do it. But I just wanted to give kudos to that deer for working with what he had. I know it sounds kind of nerdy - but then again, I'm a computer programmer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif No controversy intended - and thanks for the conversation.

I agree... that being said, I'm changing the title....
wonder buck... as in, I wonder how a deer with a not so impressive rack can become so dominant. Yes, maybe because he's agressive, but doesn't a head full of horn help?

I still hope he makes it Timmy. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

If he got hurt you never know what he may turn into though...

120 inch 3 point... yeah... THOSE are some genetics! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Genetics... when we look at mature bucks, we usually think of big racks. However, genetics bring along several other things like poor racks, big or smaller body size, muscle tone, aggression, attitude. Not all deer are created equally. I have seen it before and said it before, the best rack is not necessarily the dominant buck. Your "wonder buck" would be a good cull deer if you are managing the area for trophy racks. Stop him from spreading those genes to the next generations of deer in the herd. I agree that it is sort of neat that he is what he is and as hard as it is to use a statewide tag on a deer like this, if he walked past me in the last few days of season, I would take him out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 150 Class</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I agree that it is sort of neat that he is what he is and as hard as it is to use a statewide tag on a deer like this, if he walked past me in the last few days of season, I would take him out. </div></div>

Same here.

im with MUDDY, go Wonder, go! if you think hes messed up now , wait til he survives with this injury. if his good side got clipped, that side maynot produce next yr.If he makes it through the winter, you may have to nick name him, Nine Lives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamoMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know it sounds kind of nerdy </div></div>

I just wanted to agree with Kevin on something.

I think taking the criple in a bald condition would be right on the money, knowing what you have shared. IMO

I guess i will through my 2 cents in. I say if you live in southern iowa I wouldnt wait to see if he survives, kill him now. If you cant do that and he shows up again next year, put him on the ground before he spreads anymore of those genes. Any deer that old is a trophy in my eyes and I'll bet a giant takes over the area in no time!

HE is going to be a three legged three pointer that will whoop some butt!!!!

4-5 years later he's still alive and still a POS! Muddy called it correct 4yrs ago!
Money says he makes it to next year and turns into a 3 pointer. One side a big fork and the other a giant spike.

5604-badgenes.jpg

5604-atl.jpg

5604-2013-01-19_08-49-17_814.jpg

Last edited:
Now that is really special.....what a cool history; he may not have much on his head but he must have a lot in it to survive as long as he has.

Top Bottom