Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Workin up the soil?????

Justhunt87

PMA Member
I started with praire grass 4-5 foot tall mowed that down to the ground and am running the tiller over it. The tiller is only workin up about 2.5 inches of soil and the soil has alot of grass mixed in with it and feels really loose... Should i disc it all first then hit it with the tiller? Its taking forever with the tiller..Very slow...Thanks Dylan :confused:

Depends on what your preparing a seedbed for. At this time of the year I would assume your looking to plant some sort of fall grains, turnips, or other type of small seed. If thats the case than 2 inches of soil tilled is plenty. Just make sure to get good seed to soil contact and firm your seed bed up when your done planting. Just be prepaired to deal with the grasses coming back.

Shrek is right, brassica seeds are small and require very little cover. I believe suggest planting depth for most brassicas are under a 1/2in.

If your going to plan on working up this ground again, possible discing may help loosen soil and make your tilling a lot deeper and quicker. Ideal would be some kind of plow,, if you have the equipment, space, ect...

Waiting till next spring and really trying to get it tore up with a disc and tiller when the ground is wetter and softer may be a help aswell. Once you have the ground tore up GOOD one time it makes it a bunch easier to break up again. I have a new piece this year I had a guy till up. I figure next year I will be able to use an ATV disc a few times through out next summer to keep it dirt.

Top Bottom